Error 5: Access is denied when try to install programs

Skyler33 14:28 14 Apr 2015

Anytime I try to install any program I get this error:

Setup was unable to create the directory "E:\Program Files..."

Error 5: Access is denied.

I have not made any recent changes to my firewall, or antivirus... but I did delete some empty "temp" folders on my C: drive "documents & settings" area, because I thought they were useless.

I've been reading up on this error, and I think deleting those folders may have caused the problem, but I'm not sure. I don't remember where they were, and I'm not sure if it's as simple as just re-creating the folders again.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you!

robin_x 17:08 14 Apr 2015

You should be installing to C:\Program Files not E:

Did it really say E:? Try a Custom install to C:

=-=-=

It may be a problem with redirects from legacy Documents and Settings junction point that you have deleted

Try Recuva Free from a Flash Drive to get the deleted items back (check they are not in Recycle Bin first)

robin_x 17:13 14 Apr 2015

Edit: Try a Custom install to C:Program Files

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 14 Apr 2015

Op stsyem ? windows 8.1?

have you moved the documents and settings folder to e: ?

this is usual with an SSD (C:) for windows and all programs and data stored on a seperate HDD (E:) optical drive (D:)

Skyler33 22:46 14 Apr 2015

I'm using Windows XP. I usually install all my programs on E: and do not clutter up my C: drive with anything that does not NEED to be on there.

I've never had any problems with installing on E: until now. The temp files I deleted from C: are all gone and can't be recovered. they were mostly from the documents and settings folder I think.

robin_x 00:20 15 Apr 2015

E: is fine if that is your normal place for installs.

=-=-=

Try the System File Checker

Press Windows key+R and type sfc /scannow

=-=-=

Try System Restore to a time when the computer worked

Press Windows key+R and type rstrui.exe

(does not affect you files and folders. It will affect programs installed since a previous date. It won't bring back deleted items)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?