Email Threat. Is this genuine?

twitcher2 19:12 17 Feb 2018

Today I received the following email:-

"Good morning! You have loaded my maleficent software by chance. My malware encrypts your drives with AES-256/AES-192. After cipher this maleficent software may block your system with no possibility to save data. Reserve copy will lead to the freezing. As you understood its a cryptolocker. In case if you want to continue using of your hardware and files pay me 155 euro in BTC(cryptocurrensy). I accept only total sum. After transaction I am going to provide you manual which will help you to eliminate my ransomware. This is my btc address - 1AriDwbQEdDtJaD5sYWFcvEebHftNn7A53 You have 24 h. after reading this text."

Is this a genuine threat or a scam?

Secret-Squirrel 19:44 17 Feb 2018

Is this a genuine threat or a scam?

Because you received this by email it's almost certainly a scam so you can delete it and forget about it.

If however that message appeared on your screen and you found your personal files inaccessible then that would be a genuine threat.

twitcher2 20:20 17 Feb 2018

Thanks for that. I had assumed that a genuine threat would have frozen my files and THEN demanded a ransom to unlock them. I did try Kaspersky but their site had crashed! Looks like I wasn't the only recipient. Thanks again for your reassurance.

commute 22:30 17 Feb 2018

Just wondering if you use any program like Mailwasher which lets you check emails on your server before you try to download them; lets you decided what emails you want to download to your computer and what to reject ( without 'bouncing' )

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple