Elongated file names after file search

John Humberstone 19:27 05 Apr 2018

I get odd looking results after I do a file search with list view or small icons. All fine when explorer normally in windows 10. Any thoughs or is this normal?

Thanks John

rdave13 18:31 07 Apr 2018

I don't use VLC player as default so don't know if it's that. Searching file explorer for PNG files it shows similar if clicking on the View tab and hovering over different views available.

John Humberstone 15:14 08 Apr 2018

Thanks Dave, no the file type isn't the issue, it produces this strange layout whatever files you are searching for.

Does anyone else get this problem?

John Humberstone 19:09 10 Apr 2018

Am I the only one with this problem here?

If your search screen/pane is as you expect, could you let me know please?

wee eddie 19:25 10 Apr 2018

Unfortunately we cannot see the whole screen.

However, I suggest that you click on "View", on the top ribbon, and change to "Large icons" and then see what you get

John Humberstone 11:50 11 Apr 2018

Thanks wee eddie

Extra large icons, Large icons, Medium icons, Details and Tiles all work fine.

The two that seem to be the problem in the search window are Small icons and List.

wee eddie 13:23 11 Apr 2018

Can you show us, post a picture, of what "list" looks like

John Humberstone 14:03 11 Apr 2018

Yes, here it is from another folder. This is really odd, it is not every file that's causing the problem. In this search it seems to be ij31.....

I completely stuck with this.

John Humberstone 14:07 11 Apr 2018

Yes, here it is from another folder. This is really odd, it is not every file that's causing the problem. In this search it seems to be ij31.....

I completely stuck with this.

wee eddie 15:57 11 Apr 2018

Why not show us the Folder in question?

John Humberstone 16:16 11 Apr 2018

Sorry, wee eddie, I don't understand what you are asking. It is happening in a number of different folders to varying degrees. I up loaded one in the OP and this is another example.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple