Don't Install the Windows 10 April 2018 Update!

techblogger911 18:45 24 May 2018

The Windows 10 April Update is causing more stress for users, with many claiming their PCs were wiped clean after they hit OK on the update prompt.

Windows message boards were bombarded with complaints after users found that the "restart and install" prompt for the Windows 10 update led to a blank screen with a message saying:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted. The screen has no icons and a few users were only able to remedy the problem with the help of another PC, a luxury many do not have access to.

wee eddie 19:24 24 May 2018

I'm running 1803 with no problems. What you mention appears to have affected a few, but not enough to justify tour sweeping statement.

Meanwhile, Google the problem, there appear to be a couple of solutions available

MJS WARLORD 19:29 24 May 2018

see my comments on black desktop thread.

all these problems are caused because unlike many years ago you don't have a setting to block and hide updates that cause problems

you now have to accept everything Microsoft throw at you including them downloading programs that you don't want and cant delete because uninstall is greyed out.

I tried a third party program that was supposed to "hide" updates but the thing is Microsoft don't know you have hidden it so they just try to give it you back again.

mrcalif 19:34 24 May 2018

all these problems are caused because unlike many years ago you don't have a setting to block and hide updates that cause problems.

There are several was to stop Windows 10 from updating via a Google search, are you saying they all don't work?

wee eddie 20:50 24 May 2018

What seems to have escaped your notice is that none of you know which particular section of the Update is incompatible with with your PC but OK with mine. So how are you going to decide which bit to block

mrcalif 22:00 24 May 2018

What seems to have escaped your notice is that none of you know which particular section of the Update is incompatible with your PC but OK with mine. So how are you going to decide which bit to block

Your not. As the 1803.1 update comes down as one lump. You can't say I want the April Update but not the bit that causes a Blank Screen.

wee eddie 23:04 24 May 2018

Not being able to argue with you on that point, I think that this site has thousands of Windows 10 users and only enough with this problem to count on the fingers of one hand.

The original post is an overreaction

Salamander7 00:41 25 May 2018

We have two laptops and and one desktop using Win 10.One of the laptops was ruined by the update(black screen) but the other two machines updated no problem. The one that was ruined was a Win 7 which updated to Win 10 last year whereas the two without probs were either Win 10 from the start or upgrades from Win 8. Just wondering if that is a factor?

Gordon Freeman 08:48 25 May 2018

1803 here & no problems on 3 machines. Noticed another [2nd] cumulative update to the Apr update this morning [KB4100403].

mrcalif 09:04 25 May 2018

1803 here & no problems on 3 machines. Noticed another [2nd] cumulative update to the Apr update this morning [KB4100403].

Bringing the build up to 17134.81

alanrwood 10:45 25 May 2018

Done 9 machines without any problems.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

16 illustration tips for packaging

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Les meilleurs antivirus pour Mac (2018)