DISM Error: 87 the Cleanup-Image option is unknown

Karnage219 10:37 17 Apr 2018

So I'm having trouble finding and installing updates, and that has led me to an issue with DISM while trying to fix it.

When i run DISM, "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" it returns an error:87 the Cleanup-Image option is unknown. I can run "Dism /online /Cleanup-Image /?" and it will return the appropriate help info, but when ran without it cannot find the option.

When i try "sfc /scannow" it returns Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.

I have tried using a dism from windows ADK and this results in the same issue.

Govan1x 11:38 17 Apr 2018

Have you tried running it without the capital letters. maybe copy and paste this into cmd and make sure that you run it as administrator.

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

Govan1x 13:44 17 Apr 2018

Karnage219 sorry but I do not except email contacts from someone that I do not know.

If there is something you want to add to the thread just post it on here.

Karnage219 13:49 17 Apr 2018

Sorry I thought I had replied to your comment, I didn't realize i send a PM.

Entering the command without caps results in the same error being returned.

Karnage219 13:49 17 Apr 2018

Sorry I thought I had replied to your comment, I didn't realize i send a PM.

Entering the command without caps results in the same error being returned.

Govan1x 18:13 17 Apr 2018

I take it that you are not using W7 as I don't think that cmd works on anything less than W8. But I could be wrong i suppose.

Are you using W10 or W8

I could be wrong with the W7 theory. Just have to see if someone can give us the proper information.

Govan1x 08:31 18 Apr 2018

You could try sfc /VERIFYONLY see if that runs if it finds any problems it does not fix them but at least you would know if you have any problems or not.

I did read that maybe try running your sfc scans in safe mode might work.

Karnage219 13:08 18 Apr 2018

Sorry for that missing info, it is windows 8. The problem has been "solved". I ended up going with the nuclear option and reformatted and reinstalling windows.

Govan1x 16:48 18 Apr 2018

Karnage219.

Thanks for letting us know how you fixed the problem.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

How To Master The Curvature Pen Tool

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs