DISM for a dummy- what’s it for?

john bunyan 16:47 10 Apr 2019

I have occasionally run sfc /scannow for checking and correcting errors in SFC, and also used chkdsk. On a recent thread link the use of DISM was advocated. Could someone explain under what circumstances a home end- user would need this and what does it actually do? I found Google a bit too technical.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:56 10 Apr 2019

Used as a command line to mount and view windows images (just as you can use macrium to view and extract files from macrium images).

You can also use it on a running system to get rid on corrupt windows files such as bad downloads that cause problem locking up windows updates.

john bunyan 17:57 10 Apr 2019

FB

Thanks. Windows images? Where are they? As an example I suspect a Devolo Cockpit app somehow had a suspect driver or file. Uninstalled it ok but could I have used DISM? Sorry to be a bit slow! Is it for people who use Windows back up to make images? I, and others , as you know use Macrium, so would I ever need DISM?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:51 10 Apr 2019

Is it for people who use Windows back up to make images?

Yes but more for developers.

Only reason you might use it as a tool to repair corrupt updates click here

john bunyan 20:51 10 Apr 2019

FB

Cheers. Will note link for future reference.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans