Disc low on space! Win 10

AroundAgain 22:58 29 May 2018
Answered

Hi

Dell Laptop, Windows 10, just updated to build 1803

I am getting the message that the disc is low on space and to 'click' to fix (or something) When I click on the message, it disappears and nothing new happens.

I've opened File Expl and can see C:\ has 872Gb free of 930Gb but there is also D:\ which is needing space and, showing red, 39.5Mb free of 498Mb

Can I assume that, by highlighting D:\, clicking on (Drive Tools) Manage, and click on Clean-Up, is what I should do, please? I've not come across this issue before.

Many thanks for your advice

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:25 30 May 2018

look like its tried to put temporay files to D drive look in D and see what folders you have because a 498 sounds like the recovery / tools folder that is usually hidden.

AroundAgain 12:42 30 May 2018

Hi FruitBat, and thanks for replying

I did check this file, in File Explorer, and it said 'Empty'. The update has obviously created this drive, for whatever reasons.

I've been looking around on Google and found this site - click here re 'How to remove Drive letter'

Perhaps this is what I should do? It seems to be a common problem with build 1803 :(

Many thanks for your support J

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:39 30 May 2018

Are you sure there is noting in there and the files are not just hidden?

AroundAgain 21:21 30 May 2018

Hi FruitBat

"Are you sure there is noting in there and the files are not just hidden?"

Although the drive shows a red bar almost the full length, on clicking on the drive, it just says 'This folder is empty.'

I've only got one drive, ie C:\ so Win 10 has created, or displayed, this partition since the update.

Looking in Disc Management, it shows 3 partitions - C: Healthy(Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

D: 499Mb NTFS Healthy (OEM Partition) and the 3rd, no drive letter, 100Mb, Healthy (EFI System)

Hope this info helps Thanks J

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:33 30 May 2018

3 partitions is normal for win 10

2 without drive letters and C:

system reserve (FFI) no drive letter contains the boot files required to start windows

your D: I suspect is the recovery drive and you can not see the files as they are hidden

1. Open File Explorer from the taskbar.
  2. Select View > Options > Change folder and search options.
  3. Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and OK.

should allow you to see what files are on there.

AroundAgain 21:59 30 May 2018

OK, I've followed your instructions and the folder is still empty. No files to be seen

AroundAgain 22:58 30 May 2018
Answer

I took the plunge and followed the instructions in Option 3 on this site click here and all seems to be OK.

The said 'D' drive is no longer visible in File Explorer but is seen in Disc Management. Hopefully, this is now fixed.

Thanks very much for your responses, FruitBat, and very much appreciated :) J

christinebelle 03:02 06 Jun 2018

You can try to view this article to free up your disk space: click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?