desktop connects to network but not internet

scooter800m 02:54 15 Dec 2016

i have a windows xp computer that i just installed the os to(i know there are newer ones and don't care). when it installed it decided to use the 1394 firewire port instead of the rj45 ethernet and wouldn't show it even if it's driver was installed ect. so i grabbed a pci ethernet network card that was laying around and put it in the computer. after that i got the driver installed (from a cd) and it is now on the network, only problem is that it still doesn't connect to the internet that is provided through the network. please help me fix it, i've tried many different network and internet setting setups and it still won't work, please help me get the internet going on it so i can use it. (i am stuck on an old pentium 4 powered computer and this thing is a much faster athlon 64 x2 meant for vista). feel free to ask questions to get further info about the problem!

Burn-it 12:06 15 Dec 2016

What are you connecting TO (Router??) and is that preventing the connection?

? ? 09:19 27 Dec 2016

Use Command Prompt to Fix No Internet Access in Windows 10

Once you encounter the no Internet access or no network connection issue in Windows 10, you could try to use Command Prompt to solve it. It’s workable for many users. You need to do the following steps:

Step 1. Press Windows key + R at the same time to bring up the Run dialog box

Step 2. Enter cmd, and then click OK to open Command Prompt

Step 3. Type the commands below one by one: netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

Step 4. Type the command below and tap Enter netsh int tcp show global

Step 5. Restart your computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch