Denied access to my disk drive

cutesusie 15:02 21 Jun 2007

I am the only user of this computer. Originally, I had no problems. About a month ago this big red circle appeared on the disk drive and I am denied access, and am told I do not have permission to view or edit. I can't even format a disk, not anything.

CalmCookie 16:12 21 Jun 2007

Have you or someone else enabled BitLocker Drive Encryption? You can find this in Control Panel.

A bit from the Help Section regarding BitLocker..

'During computer startup, if BitLocker detects a system condition that could represent a security risk (for example, disk errors, a change to the BIOS , or changes to any startup files), it will lock the drive and require a special BitLocker recovery password to unlock it. Make sure that you create this recovery password when you turn on BitLocker for the first time; otherwise, you could permanently lose access to your files.'

cutesusie 17:25 21 Jun 2007

No one uses the computer except me. I haven't done anything with the encryption stuff, (don't know how). where do I find the bitlocker??

cutesusie 18:10 21 Jun 2007

I went into Security and there is no BitLocker information. I am using Vista Business. Could it be somewhere else?

skidzy 20:41 21 Jun 2007

Have you tried right clicking the drive and run as Administrator ?

This is a protective security issue with Vista.

cutesusie 20:59 21 Jun 2007

yes, went to computer and right clicked, "run as administrator" is not an option.

madgamer234 21:40 21 Jun 2007

cutesusie try and get your head around this one click here

cutesusie 15:33 22 Jun 2007

I would like to try Regedit. Can someone give me the steps.

cutesusie 16:08 22 Jun 2007

I can't do anything that will require me to use my disk drive since access is denied.

rawprawn 17:20 22 Jun 2007

You could try this Take Ownership
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

25 book design and illustration tips

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts