Cryptolocker Email received. Threat or scam?

twitcher2 19:06 17 Feb 2018

Today I received the following email:-

"Good morning!

You have loaded my maleficent software by chance.

My malware encrypts your drives with AES-256/AES-192. After cipher this maleficent software may block your system with no possibility to save data. Reserve copy will lead to the freezing.

As you understood its a cryptolocker. In case if you want to continue using of your hardware and files pay me 155 euro in BTC(cryptocurrensy). I accept only total sum. After transaction I am going to provide you manual which will help you to eliminate my ransomware.

This is my btc address - 1AriDwbQEdDtJaD5sYWFcvEebHftNn7A53

You have 24 h. after reading this text."

Is this a genuine threat or a scam?

Secret-Squirrel 19:43 17 Feb 2018

Is this a genuine threat or a scam?

Because you received this by email it's almost certainly a scam so you can delete it and forget about it.

If however that message appeared on your screen and you found your personal files inaccessible then that would be a genuine threat.

conrail 22:15 28 Mar 2018

just a thought here,but has anybody had their files locked, paid the ransom and had the info to release the files, could they not post the info here for others infected to try

alanrwood 10:24 29 Mar 2018

Wonder what happened to the original poster?

It was almost certainly a scam but it would be nice to have a confirmation. Of course if it ws genuine his files would be locked and he probably could not answer.

lotvic 18:52 30 Mar 2018

He responded on other thread click here

alanrwood 19:04 30 Mar 2018

Thanks. This is what happens when people post the same thing multiple times.

MJS WARLORD 15:36 02 Apr 2018

never pay the ransom , some av companies have studied ransomware code and they say it is so complex the writers probably cant make an accurate decripter , if you are unfortunate enough to get hit then the only safe solution is to reboot pc to a never used state ..... and that's why you should make a set of recovery discs , if you cant boot your pc and got no back ups of any kind on disc of flash drive your stuffed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

When is the next Apple event?

Test : le Samsung Galaxy A9