Computer will not start after windows 10 upgrade

slaydeuk 12:03 21 Jan 2018

I have an ASUS T101 HA tablet computer which I have just upgraded to the latest version of Window 10. To do this I had to add external memory in the form of a 32GB USB memory stick due to the small memory in the computer being insufficient for the upgrade. The computer accepted this and completed the Windows installation. However, it then required a restart to install, or configure updates. After some considerable time it restarted and presented an error message ''Please insert the external storage media and press OK''. This media was already installed, but the computer continued to present the error message. I then formatted the memory stick in another PC and reinserted it, but it still had no effect. The problem now is that I cannot start the computer to revert to the original Windows 10, or even the bios. I can't get past the error message. Help!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:47 24 Jan 2018

probably got a embedded Multi-Media Card that's soldered onto the motherboard, just like other embedded components... So it's not meant to be user serviceable, though, if you have the proper equipment and skills it is possible to replace it but only with another eMMC chip...

I'm surprised the hard reset is working simutaniously holding down the volume down button and power button fro 10 secons at startup then follow the prompts to hard reset.

slaydeuk 14:23 24 Jan 2018

WOW!! Tried your volume down and power button thing and,Hey Presto! I'm in the BIOS. Not that it's done me any good as, in spite of some uneducated tweaking, it still boots up into the error message. Can you tell me what BIOS setting I need to force a proper boot, even into a factory reset.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:48 24 Jan 2018

Once into the BIOS, tap ""F9"" and select ""Yes""

Then tap on ""F10"" and select ""Yes""

Once the screen goes dark, start tapping on """"F9"""".

Select ""Troubleshoot"".

Select ""Reset"".

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:50 24 Jan 2018

Need to make sure Boot from USB is enabled in BIOS then it should read from the USB drive you made the win 10 boot media on.

slaydeuk 16:58 24 Jan 2018

Sorry, but tapping f9 doesn't work. The computer ignores it and goes on to the error message. I have set the BIOS to boot from the USB with Windows setup in and tested the media on another laptop and it works OK. Looks as though the notebook is still heading for the skip.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:15 24 Jan 2018

what happens when yo press F9 while in the BIOS?

slaydeuk 09:36 25 Jan 2018

For a start, it's difficult to get into the BIOS. I press volume down and power, hold for 10 seconds, and it generally ignores this and comes up with the error message. The eventually, for no particular reason, it goes into BIOS/setup. I have an earlier version of this tablet, the ASUS 101 HA, and this does exactly what you would expect. On my T102 pressing f9 allows me to load optimized defaults. Pressing f10 allows me to save the configuration and exit but continuously tapping f9 when the computer is booting up has no effect whatever. On my T101 it does exactly what you are trying to do on my my broken notebook, it goes into the toubleshooting options. Startup on the T102 is not like it used to be. The ASUS logo comes up first, but it doesn't have the f2 and exit setup options at the bottom of the screen that it used to have. the blue window does not appear, it has the rotating dots followed by a flash of a bright rectangle at the left of the screen and then the error message comes up. Nothing I do changes this. There! You now have it all. I'm also nearly bald with tearing my hair out. I don't know if you can make anything out of the above - I still haven't heard from ASUS, who, I expect, will advise me to take it to a repairer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:40 25 Jan 2018

I'm confused is this the T101 HA that has the problems or the T102?

slaydeuk 12:26 25 Jan 2018

Sorry about the confusion. The one with the problem is the T102. I dumped the 101 because I was having the same problem that started this trouble with the 102, ie not enough storage to update Windows 10 (from Win 8.1). I thought I was getting around the lack of space on the 102 by using a 32GB USB memory stick. It installed the Windows update (it had Windows 10 on it when I bought it)but it all went wrong when it then started ''Working on updates''. At the moment, I am considering buying another ASUS T102 but with 64GB of storage, which is now available. Glutton for punishment Eh?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:19 25 Jan 2018

Something else to try

Hold left shift button as you power on - should take you to windows recovery menu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 review

The Berlin Wall inspires a new font for the 30th anniversary of its fall

AirPods Pro review

Test : la HolyHigh, une montre connectée GPS orientée sport