Computer freezing randomly have to shut it down.

Govan1x 11:19 28 Feb 2018

Computer freezing randomly and have to shut it down by holding the start button. W10 home version.

Now the freezing just started after the latest Windows Upgrade so it has been doing that for a while. Everything freezes including the Mouse and keyboard.

Other problem is I get a black screen randomly witch last's about 4 seconds. Tried changing the virtual memory to this. But not sure if I set it correctly if someone could check it for me. Have I got the numbers in the wrong boxes.

Click here

I get this critical error in Event Viewer which I believe is the warning that I shut down the computer by holding in the start button. Any help fixing any of the problems would be appreciated.

Click Here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:49 28 Feb 2018

Personally I would tick the button and let the system mange the pagefile size.

And you are corret Kernal 41 is becuase its not a controlled shutdown as forced off while holding power button.

Freezing PC*

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans - speed fan will show temperatures

2. PSU voltages - speed fan will also show voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

5. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Govan1x 13:39 28 Feb 2018

Temperature on number 2 on this shows 127% but as far as I know there is only the one fan on the computer. Will take it apart tonight just to check.

Click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:12 28 Feb 2018

Those tempertures don't look right, CPU 0 degrees C what are you doing running it outside in the garden in this weather? :0)

Secret-Squirrel 17:21 28 Feb 2018

Temperature on number 2 on this shows 127%.......

.........and your GPU is a tad cool at -7C. Have you left the back door open? Perhaps you need to knit your GPU a woolly jacket.

Seriously though, you're in the "Configure" section of whatever program it is and the values you're seeing are samples of how the data will appear. What happens when you click the OK button? Hopefully you'll then see the true values for your fan and temperature sensors.

Govan1x 18:35 28 Feb 2018

Never used this before so not quite sure what I am doing. Assumed it ran automatically and showed any problems. Any hints as to what I should be doing would be welcome. This is another view with much the same results.

Click here

Secret-Squirrel 18:56 28 Feb 2018

This is another view with much the same results.

OOh err - so it is. Apologies for giving you the wrong information earlier.

Those values don't look right. If they are then there's something seriously wrong with your PC. I can't help you with SpeedFan but you may want to try a different monitor. HWMonitor is free and effective. The download buttons are the purple ones top-left. The "ZIP English" one doesn't require installing.

Govan1x 22:51 28 Feb 2018

Sorry for the delay in answering but had problems with speed fan freezing my computer. I have just run JRT and it found and deleted C:\WINDOWS\wininit.ini (File) which is a suspect file.Needless to say speed fan has been deleted now.

So will try your HW Monitor Secret-Squirrel and see how I get on with that.

Govan1x 23:12 28 Feb 2018

Ok I have to split this in two. It looks fine to me but I don't know what to look for.

Click here Click Here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:33 28 Feb 2018

When you said your machine was freezing you were joking, I've never seen a GPU that cold before:0) Everything else looks fine.

Govan1x 23:53 28 Feb 2018

Any remedy for that Fruit Bat /\0/. Daft question could I have put the cpu fan on upside down so that it is blowing cold air into the CPU or is it supposed to do that anyway.

It is in a small upstairs room with the central heating on buts gets turned off at night time, So room can be quite cold at times. .Computer is off and on for about 8 hours each day so it should warm up.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?