Clean install of Windows 10, instead of upgrade

NJ4959 12:45 14 Jul 2016

A couple of weeks ago I posted about Windows Update not working on my Vista laptop (and it still isn't working). My Windows 7 Ultrabook now has the same problem (it was alright until a couple of weeks ago). I have run Microsoft Fix-It, which says it has fixed it but it hasn't, and I've also cleared the cache in Software Distribution, this hasn't worked either. I'd believe it was something to do with my router except that Windows Update on my Desktop is working fine.

I've decided to put Windows 10 on my Ultrabook. The only problem is that it won't download (presumably to do with Windows Update?). I was wondering therefore if I could download a clean install version of Windows 10, without using Windows Update, maybe onto my desktop, then creating a DVD disc. My Ultrabook is used most for internet so there aren't any settings I'm that bothered about.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:23 14 Jul 2016
  NJ4959 15:40 14 Jul 2016

Thanks for your reply. Will I need to enter the number on the COA, or will it know the computer has previously had Windows 7 on it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:10 14 Jul 2016

If you're doing the clean install you will need to enter the number.

alanrwood 19:19 14 Jul 2016

Best do the upgrade which should register your computer with MS then you can do a clean install from within Windows.

anhbloginc 08:13 19 Jul 2016

When you install a fresh copy of Windows 10, you don't get the 'free upgrade pack' from Microsoft. Only upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10, you will get a free license. Otherwise, you will have to purchase a new license of Windows 10.

However, if you choose to upgrade from your Windows 7 to Windows 10, hurry up because it will be expired soon enough.

1">[click here

lotvic 11:45 19 Jul 2016

'anhbloginc', the latest newbie spammer of rubbish info.

NJ4959 12:58 19 Jul 2016

Thanks for the additional replies. I've just downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file on to hard drive of my desktop using ethernet. I wasn't given the option of downloading directly on to my USB stick (don't know whether this is Microsoft or Firefox?). I have just tried to transfer the file to my USB stick only to be told the file is too big for the destination file system. I guess I'll have to use an external hard drive. Why is Microsoft saying I can use a USB stick if the file system doesn't support the file size? One word to describe this process: DISASTER.

robin_x 13:37 19 Jul 2016

Use Rufus to make a bootable USB stick from the iso file.

Booting an install DVD or USB is indeed the way to a clean install. W7, 8, 8.1 and 10 License Keys are all now accepted.

But you can still Upgrade by booting W7 normally then running Setup on the DVD or USB.

Broken bits of W7 will be replaced / fixed and all your Ultrabook software will be retained.

1]: [click here

BRYNIT 13:44 19 Jul 2016

If you use the Media creation tool just after accepting the T&C you get 2 options select Create installation media for another PC, next it will select the recommended OS (file size approx 2.5gb)you could also change the Architecture to 32+64bit (file size approx 5.6gb), next it will give you the option of USB flash drive or ISO file if you had selected USB it would have install onto the usb drive.

NJ4959 15:58 19 Jul 2016

Thanks for your help, I'll try it tomorrow. All this because Windows Update has stopped working. If Microsoft introduce Windows 11 they can keep it, I'm not going through this again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Release Date, Price & Spec

Rob Hunter talks animating his magical storybook style for a spacey Jon Hopkins music video

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

Samsung Galaxy X : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique