Chrome & Firefox stopped working in Windows 10

tallboy 16:53 20 Sep 2015
Answered

I recently upgraded the HDD in my wife's 64-bit DELL laptop to an SSD, taking the opportunity to re-install all the programs (i.e. not cloning the HDD) and set up data partitions. In order to avail myself of the 'Free' Windows 10 upgrade, I first re-installed Windows 7 SP1 along with some 200+ updates and a few applications. (Kaspersky, Total Security, WLM, Google Chrome etc.) The installation of these went fine. Whilst adding further applications, Microsoft advised me that my Windows 10 ugrade was ready to be downloaded / installed by the Updates program. This went without a hitch, and as far as I can see (so far) Windows 10 is working correctly.

However, both my Google Chrome & Firefox browsers have stopped working. I'm sure I have used Chrome since upgrading and Firefox was installed (and worked) after the upgrade. Edge & Opera browsers work fine.

Earlier today, when I started up Chrome it did flash up a'server' error message, but foolishly, I dismissed it too quickly to read it in detail. I have removed Chrome & re-installed it a couple of times in the hope of getting it working again - but no luck. No both programs just show a 'wait' spinning circle for a few seconds and this then stops. There are no error messages.

I have run sfc /scannow, but that hasn't reported any errors. Any suggestions as to how to get both programs working again (I suspect they are caused by the same problem) would be most appreciated.

Govan1x 09:03 21 Sep 2015

If the Firefox page opens at all click on help.Troubleshooting information.Refresh Firefox.

Or delete it and then reinstall it.

tallboy 11:54 21 Sep 2015

Thanks for the post Govan1x. Firefox doesn't open at all. I've tried deleting it & re-installing it - to no avail. When I try to open it I get the message: 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe'. When I tried going to the firefox.exe file directly & double clicked on it, it still didn't start up.

Further ideas on things to try would be most welcome.

Govan1x 13:06 21 Sep 2015

I had problems like that they would open then flash shut. If you have Windows Firewall turned off because you have your own Firewall turn Windows firewall on as well. That fixed my problems.

If you already use W/Firewall reset it to default.

If that does not work go to Control panel and click on Default programs and make Firefox the default. See if that starts it ,if not change the default back to where it was.

tallboy 13:10 22 Sep 2015

Thanks for the further post Govan1x. Unfortunately they haven't worked for me. It's a mystery. I run near-identical set-ups on both my wife's DELL laptop & my desktop. Both are 64-bit Windows 10 Pro. Both use Kaspersky Total Security for AV and both have the Windows 10 firewall turn on. On the desktop, both Firefox & Chrome work fine. On the laptop they don't.

I have tried setting Firefox on the laptop to the default browser, but that didn't kick it into life, so I had to revert to Opera. One thing that is puzzling (on both machines) is that on the Windows Firewall part of the Control Panel, only the Advanced Settings option on the left hand side of the Control Panel is active. The other items (Allow an app / Change notification settings / Turn Windows Firewall on or off / Restore defaults) are not active. Presumably, once you install Kaspersky, this takes over the control of these settings. If there is another way to reach these items, I could try looking to see if any settings there are likely to be the cause of my problems.

Govan1x 12:54 23 Sep 2015

Try turning Kaspersky off completely including the Firewall and see if it makes any difference. I have Eset security with its own firewall and was having lots of problems with Edge and W/Updates etc not working and turning on Windows firewall fixed it.

i would have a good search in Kaspersky security or Firewall to see if anything in there stopping it.

Govan1x 13:00 23 Sep 2015

Looks like Kaspersky was not ready for W10. Maybe delete it and see if Firefox works if so install kapersky again and see if it still works.

Click here

tallboy 14:09 23 Sep 2015

Many thanks for the post Govan1x. It's interesting reading about the problems folks are having with Kaspersky. I run Kaspersky Total Security (rather than KIS) but I expect the problems apply to both. When I re-installed Windows 7 (building up a new SSD) I recall Kaspersky taking hours (literally) to load - sticking for a long time on installing Windows .NETFramework. I left it installing overnight. In the morning everything seemed to be installed OK.

I've tried turning off KIS Protection and starting Firefox, but it still didn't work. I think I'll try your suggestion of deleting it, getting the very latest version and re-installing it. Ironically, I have the same version on my desktop PC and with that system, both Firefox & Chrome run without a hitch.

Mozilla Firefox Forum have suggested I rename the Mozilla folders to .old and re-install Firefox. I have done that, but the problem still exists, so I suspect it is 'external' to Firefox / Chrome. (Probably the same problem is causing both to fail.)

Govan1x 15:11 23 Sep 2015

The only other way would be to use revo Uninstaller on setting 4 to get rid of firefox completely then maybe reinstall it.

Just noticed there is an update for Firefox today version 41,0 it is now.

tallboy 16:39 23 Sep 2015
Answer

You hit the nail on the head Govan1x! Thanks for that. I've un-installed Kaspersky Total Security and am just using Windows Defender for protection. (Some say that in Windows 10, Defender is so good now that you don't need any third-party protection.) I've re-installed Chrome. That now works as it should. Firefox also works OK.

I'll post a request to Kaspersky Support asking them for a Windows 10 version that will work with these two browsers before I re-install KTS (if I do)! Thanks for all your help.

Govan1x 09:26 24 Sep 2015

Windows Defender has always been fairly poor and the first thing I do when i get a new computer is disable it.

It may work better on W10 but I would not like to pin my hopes on it.

Myself I would install Kaspersky again and it should work Ok.

Avast has the same sort of problems and deleting that and reinstalling it seems to work for most.

I have never used Kaspersky so cannot comment on it. Probably your computer is working that bit better without it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)