Changing ISP & looking for new email provider

Gordon Freeman 12:27 31 Jan 2019

Based on current deals available vs current ISP costs, I'm moving from BT to Plusnet, but have read that I'll lose my "btinternet.com" email address, or, if I choose to retain it, will need to pay some extortionate amount to have a premium email address or something. I've now got the nause of finding a suitable alternative & updating contacts etc.

Can anyone recommend a free email provider which is compatible with Microsoft Outlook (2016 version)?

I've just tried "Outlook.com" but this seems to be ms-exchange based as opposed to pop/smtp.

Would "gmail" do the job? Not tried it yet as I thought I'd ask learned counsel before setting it up. Thanks.

As an aside, I still have a fully functioning "aol" email address, despite having discontinued service with them years ago. I could just use that in worst case scenario, but it's a bit unreliable at times.

wee eddie 13:01 31 Jan 2019

I can't understand why you are losing your email address as Plusnet is part of the BTInternet grouping.

Threaten to leave the whole lot, it might work

Gordon Freeman 14:31 31 Jan 2019

Despite being connected, Plusnet & BT are 2 separate business entities.

Re; email closure, seems to be standard policy if you move from BT as ISP; from what I've read, they give you 30 days notice, apparently. The premium email costs £5/month.

I've managed to get gmail working through outlook 2016 successfully, so will use that as a back-up once/if I get notification from BT.

Old Deuteronomy 16:00 31 Jan 2019

I have been using Hotmail/Outlook email services for many years and with no problems. I simply ignore ISP provided services.

alanrwood 19:39 31 Jan 2019

Either get yourself a gmail address or your own domain which is totally independent of ISP. That solves the problem permanently.

Gordon Freeman 20:43 31 Jan 2019

alanrwood: as per earlier post (14:31), that's exactly what I've done (gmail)

benosc 13:46 04 Feb 2019

Don't bother looking at Vodafone.

They don't provide email addresses, never have?? - end of story.

Just cancelled my account of one day with them and gone back to Zen

Gordon Freeman 18:15 06 Feb 2019

Just for info, & further to my earlier point in email (Re; email closure, seems to be standard policy if you move from BT as ISP; from what I've read, they give you 30 days notice, apparently. The premium email costs £5/month)

I've just had notification from BT that to retain my email (after my move to PlusNet) will cost me £7.50/month...thankfully gmail address sorted.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Sega Mega Drive Mini review: Hands-on

How to Cancel Adobe CC

iOS 13 preview: First look at the new iPhone update

Les meilleurs smartphones Android (2019)