Changing ISP & looking for new email provider

Gordon Freeman 12:27 31 Jan 2019

Based on current deals available vs current ISP costs, I'm moving from BT to Plusnet, but have read that I'll lose my "btinternet.com" email address, or, if I choose to retain it, will need to pay some extortionate amount to have a premium email address or something. I've now got the nause of finding a suitable alternative & updating contacts etc.

Can anyone recommend a free email provider which is compatible with Microsoft Outlook (2016 version)?

I've just tried "Outlook.com" but this seems to be ms-exchange based as opposed to pop/smtp.

Would "gmail" do the job? Not tried it yet as I thought I'd ask learned counsel before setting it up. Thanks.

As an aside, I still have a fully functioning "aol" email address, despite having discontinued service with them years ago. I could just use that in worst case scenario, but it's a bit unreliable at times.

wee eddie 13:01 31 Jan 2019

I can't understand why you are losing your email address as Plusnet is part of the BTInternet grouping.

Threaten to leave the whole lot, it might work

Gordon Freeman 14:31 31 Jan 2019

Despite being connected, Plusnet & BT are 2 separate business entities.

Re; email closure, seems to be standard policy if you move from BT as ISP; from what I've read, they give you 30 days notice, apparently. The premium email costs £5/month.

I've managed to get gmail working through outlook 2016 successfully, so will use that as a back-up once/if I get notification from BT.

Old Deuteronomy 16:00 31 Jan 2019

I have been using Hotmail/Outlook email services for many years and with no problems. I simply ignore ISP provided services.

alanrwood 19:39 31 Jan 2019

Either get yourself a gmail address or your own domain which is totally independent of ISP. That solves the problem permanently.

Gordon Freeman 20:43 31 Jan 2019

alanrwood: as per earlier post (14:31), that's exactly what I've done (gmail)

benosc 13:46 04 Feb 2019

Don't bother looking at Vodafone.

They don't provide email addresses, never have?? - end of story.

Just cancelled my account of one day with them and gone back to Zen

Gordon Freeman 18:15 06 Feb 2019

Just for info, & further to my earlier point in email (Re; email closure, seems to be standard policy if you move from BT as ISP; from what I've read, they give you 30 days notice, apparently. The premium email costs £5/month)

I've just had notification from BT that to retain my email (after my move to PlusNet) will cost me £7.50/month...thankfully gmail address sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)