Caught in chkdsk /r loop?

Jeanne Nickerson 02:31 21 May 2018

Windows 8.1 was running slow. Tried to restore at a previous reset point. Said the restore failed and had to run a chkdsk. Did some research to understand what I was doing. As administrator, I typed chkdsk /r to run at start, so I restarted and let her roll, and roll.

Did more research and found I had two problems already. 1) I forgot to include c: in command (!) and 2) my screen was black the entire time; didn't know that the screen should have been telling me about progress of scan.

The scan had been running for about 24 hours. But had seen where the scan could take days, to just leave it alone and let it run its course. Meanwhile, I created a bootable restore CD and set aside.

Last night, at hour #59, there was a power outage! I left it for today. Not wanting it to go through another 59+ hour run, I put the bootable CD in. Nothing happened. Tried this several times and it didn't work. I'm wondering if, because I didn't include the drive, that the entire system was being restored and thus the CD drive wasn't registering?

I have restarted the computer without the CD and it's been running for about an hour. The screen is still black and I have no idea what's happening. I know it's doing something because you can hear it running. I also know the monitor is working because at one point (on startup) the "Dell" logo came on.

I'm expecting I'll have to go through another 59+ hours till it ends? This is not a huge computer (40 gb). Oh, and I also tried to stop the check several times to no avail using the escape key and Control-C.

I think I've reached the point where I say, "Help!"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 21 May 2018

If while it is running, you need to cancel it, then the only want to do it, is to power down the computer. But again on next restart, the scheduled chkdsk utility will run.

During Windows startup, you will be given a couple of seconds, during which you can press any key to abort the scheduled Disk checking.

There are several reasons for windows running slow and bad sectors is one so a chksk was a likely fix however if yu only have a 40 G drive then the possible answer to the slow running is the drive is running short of space and you will need to start moving stuff to a different internal or external drive or delete stuff you don't use.

MJS WARLORD 13:54 21 May 2018

2 questions , is e drive for the cd/dvd still missing , also what anti virus do you have Kaspersky it can stop system restore working , if answers to either question is yes I can paste/copy solution here , I got them on a word file.

lotvic 18:43 21 May 2018

Or - using a different pc - you could go to Dell support and download a USB Operating System Recovery Image for your Dell pc.

You will need the Service Tag of the Dell PC on which you want to install Microsoft Windows, this will be on a sticker on pc case.

Do you need to reinstall Microsoft Windows or Linux on your Dell PC due to a system crash, hard drive replacement, etc.?

The Dell OS Recovery Tool will help you download a customized Dell recovery image of Microsoft Windows or Linux that was preinstalled on your Dell PC.

Follow the steps below to download the utility, create a USB recovery media and reinstall Microsoft Windows or Linux on your Dell PC.

click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

FIFA 19 review

Design a vector map packed with creatures and landmarks

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Comment désactiver la lecture automatique des vidéos sur Chrome ?