Cant install or uninstall programs in Windows 10

Salamander7 20:50 14 Sep 2015

I have a Windows 10 64bit Toshiba laptop and a problem has developed since a Toshiba BIOS upgrade. AVG cannot update it says another installation is running which of course is not true. I thought I would uninstall and re-install AVG but I got same error message about another install already running. A Java update also failed to install. The Java website suggested error ( cannot install or uninstall any programme)caused by corrupt registry keys and provided a link to Microsoft Win fixit. Problem was there is no Windows 10 version available. Any ideas? Is there a "go back" function in Win 10 so I could go back to before the BIOS upgrade. Would this fuction work with a BIOS upgrade. I really am up the creek. Help!

robin_x 23:46 14 Sep 2015

Reboot and Disable AVG protection temporarily. See if problem still exists.

Try System Restore to before the problem (Press Win+R and type rstrui.exe )

If the BIOS upgrade program created a backup, you can try restoring that. Run it again to have a look.

Otherwise, look on Toshiba download page for your laptop to see if it has an earlier BIOS download available.

TCraven53 07:48 15 Sep 2015

Usually you can go to the windows button and check settings, and under security, you can try to choose a different recovery date before you had all these problems, and it will tell you if it restored to a back date recovery, and say the recovery was successful as well. Try that and let me know what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Artists FriendsWithYou reimagine Snoopy and Charlie Brown for a Peanuts London takeover

iPad Pro 12.9in (2018) review

Les meilleurs smartphones chinois disponibles en France