Can't fix "This app is blocked for your safety"

SuperieurUltra 15:51 18 Jan 2018

Hi everyone,

I have an Asus laptop running on Windows 10. I think I have some virusses for a long time, because I have a lot of random tabs opening when I am browsing on the internet, but this is not my real problem.

The problem is that every time I try to open Malwarebytes, Uninstall Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner or anything like that I get the massage: "This app is blocked for your safety". I already tried a lot of things like unblocking the *exe file from the settings, completely turning off Avast and Windows Defender, using a command to make an administrator account and opening the file when I am logged in into this account but nothing worked.

If somebody knows a solution, can you please tell it, because this problem is very annoying.

Thank you very much for your help, SuperieurUltra.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:08 18 Jan 2018

It really sounds like you have something nasty if its stopping you opening your malware protection.

I suggest you do a scan with some of the online antivirus scanners start with Eset or KAspersky

Secret-Squirrel 17:11 18 Jan 2018

........ I get the massage: "This app is blocked for your safety".

Does the message appear in its own window (which can be moved around the screen)? If it does then I can suggest a program that'll tell you the name of the program that spawned that message. You'll then be in a better potions to fix it.

SuperieurUltra 07:02 19 Jan 2018

Yes, I can move the window, but I can't see the icons of my wallpaper.

Secret-Squirrel 09:41 19 Jan 2018

Hopefully this'll help you get to the bottom of things:

Download then extract Microsoft's Process Explorer. It's free and doesn't need installing. Launch the program by right-clicking the icon appropriate for your version of Windows then choose "Run as Administrator". Leave the program window open although you may want to move and/or resize it.

Carry out an action that produces a "This app is blocked for your safety" window. In Process Explorer, drag the little target icon from the toolbar and drop it onto the message window. The process responsible will be shown in the list highlighted in bright blue. Right-clicking the process and choosing "Properties" will give you lots of info. That information will hopefully help greatly in fixing your problem.

Let me know what you discover please.

1]: [click here

SuperieurUltra 16:28 19 Jan 2018

I couldn't use this program. As I mentioned in my previous response, I can't see the icons of my wallpaper. But I also can't see my taskbar or anything else without closing the message, so it didn't work.

Secret-Squirrel 18:08 19 Jan 2018

As I mentioned in my previous response,..............so it didn't work.

You could have explained it a bit better ;)

Never mind though, here's Plan B:

Download Microsoft's Process Monitor. Make sure your computer has booted up fully, is idle, and there are minimal programs running. Start the program. You'll soon see it captures and lists all activity in real time. On the toolbar make sure that only "Show file system activity" is selected. If you leave everything enabled then you'll be bombarded and overwhelmed with data.

Carry out an action that produces a "This app is blocked for your safety" window then close the message as soon as you can. It may help later if you note down the precise time. Immediately go back to Process Monitor, click the "Capture" button to stop it recording them look through the list to see what process appeared. The latest ones are at the bottom although there will be so many that it may take a while to find the culprit responsible for those annoying messages.

SuperieurUltra 14:22 24 Jan 2018

Hello again,

So I used the program and opened an application where I get the error from, but I have dozens of operations from that single program. They are completely different like OpenFile, LockFile, CreateFile, CloseFile, QueryBasicInformationFile and a lot more.

Also if I move my mouse over the process by Process Name I get all different paths like temporary files. Afterwards I deleted these temporary files and I still got the message.

Secret-Squirrel 08:52 25 Jan 2018

.............but I have dozens of operations from that single program.

What program? Process Monitor or have you determined the name of the program responsible for your problem?

.......completely different like OpenFile, LockFile, CreateFile, CloseFile, QueryBasicInformationFile............

Those details are largely irrelevant. The information in the "Time of day" and "Process name" columns are the important ones. After you've stopped the capture you need to look through the list until you find the launch of Malwarebytes or ADWcleaner etc then scroll chronologically to see what kicks in afterwards. The process name should help identify the culprit.

If the above advice still hasn't helped then abandon it, restart your computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" then run your security programs again. There's less chance of anything interfering with them in that mode so they should function correctly, and may detect and eradicate the cause of your problems.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?