Can't access start menu, search or taskbar icons

ellielt 11:31 04 Feb 2018

I have a Windows 10 Asus laptop.

When I left click the start menu it does not open. When I left click the search bar nothing happens and I can't use it. When I left click the battery/volume/wifi icons on my taskbar they do not open either.

When I right click the start menu, the right click menu opens but when I click "settings" in this menu, it does not open. However, when I click task manager it opens normally.

When I right click the wifi/volume/battery task bar icons I can access the right click menu options. However, again, when I right click the wifi options I get to options "Troubleshoot problems" or "Open Network and Internet Settings". Troubleshoot problems works when clicked, but when I click the option to open internet settings, nothing happens.

What is going on? Can I fix this? It's very frustrating!

ellielt 11:33 04 Feb 2018

Should add I have tried to safe boot it and have restarted the laptop several times.

I tried to reset/refresh the pc but it said there were no restore points so I couldn't continue!

Govan1x 12:38 04 Feb 2018

Try cmd as administrator and type in sfc /scannow and run that to see if it finds any problems and fixes them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy A9 review: Hands-on

Can the Huawei P20 Pro really replace a digital SLR?

Surface Laptop 2 vs MacBook Pro

Où acheter un Mac ?