Can I use my Windows 10 upgrade key with new PC?

krisiskiller101 14:45 10 Oct 2015

Hey all,

I've made a USB of Windows 10 for use on a new PC that I should be getting soon that doesn't ship with an OS. I used the Windows 10 tool that you can get from the Microsoft website: click here the thing though - I have made a USB using it, but the only key I have is the one I retrieved from my current Windows 10 installation using a free program called ProduKey. I think it might be only for this PC though, since it's upgraded from Windows 8.

Can I use the key on another pc, or is it tied to my laptop?

Cheers all.

Here's

rdave13 17:04 10 Oct 2015

It's tied to the laptop.

wee eddie 18:30 10 Oct 2015

Almost as soon as you log your new PC onto the Net, it will start downloading it's copy of W10, wether you like it or not.

A few hours later and it will be ready to Upgrade. All you need to do is follow the instructions

tullie 20:22 10 Oct 2015

He wont have a operating system to upgrade

wee eddie 20:47 10 Oct 2015

Aaggh! Missed that. So,we're after a long free copy of Windows.

I know that W10 is free, but only to those whose PC already contains a "paid for" copy.

He could save money by purchaseing something with an OEM Copy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:48 11 Oct 2015

it won't work as the key is registered on MS servers for the laptop.

buy a cheap version of windows 7 and install on your machine then use the toll to upgrade.

rdave13 15:11 11 Oct 2015

If you're happy with the 'home' version then for a few extra pounds, rather than faffing about with upgrading, £78.05 from Ebuyer.com OEM version.

lotvic 16:46 11 Oct 2015

rdave13, thanks for that link, might get that for my new AIO that has no op sys. (was thinking to use my W7 retail and then upgrade, but don't fancy the faffing about, and I could then still have my old pc running) :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)