Can I update from Office 2016 to 2019?

john bunyan 11:40 05 Dec 2018

I have the "one off" version of MS Office Home and Business 2016. I dislike subscriptions and see that there is now a 2019 version. Is there a way of paying a small update fee from my version to version 2019 (Home and Business)? I don't think it is worth paying a full amount as the improvements are nice but not essential.

wee eddie 11:54 05 Dec 2018

I doubt it, I've been using Office for decades and have had to buy new versions several times. If there was a way, my Technical Advisor would have found it.

mole44 14:20 05 Dec 2018

Or just use google docs or one of the many free office suites available

Forum Editor 16:49 05 Dec 2018

"I dislike subscriptions"

Fair enough, but if you use MS Office applications on a daily basis an Office 365 subscription at £79.99 a year is an excellent solution. You'll always have the latest version of all the applications, and you can install and use Office on all your devices as well as using it on the web on any computer that's connected to the internet.

john bunyan 17:50 05 Dec 2018

FE

I am sure you’re right and I may go that way. However if one did a similar thing on Cloud, with , say, 250gig, and Photoshop and other subscriptions they can add up, and the software I use such as CS5 is ok , as is the 2016 Office version. I’ll give it serious thought before deciding. A bit like insurance of household items where you could end up with insurance for a fridge, freezer, a couple of TV’s , a boiler , washing up and washing machine etc

Aitchbee 17:58 05 Dec 2018

you can install and use Office on all your devices as well as using it on the web on any computer that's connected to the internet.

FE, would one be able to share the subscription which you have outlined above with other family members who own computers?

If so it does sound like a good deal.

[apologies for hijacking jb but I hope it might be helpful to others in similar situation]

ps. I share the yearly cost of security software subscriptions with family members.

Gordon Freeman 15:44 06 Dec 2018

Can I update from Office 2016 to 2019?

What's the reason for wanting to?

From what I've read, any changes are really quite minimal, & even as quite a heavy office user, I don't see any real benefits in the newer version vs. 2016 version, which I find more than adequate.

Forum Editor 18:33 06 Dec 2018

Aitchbee

"FE, would one be able to share the subscription which you have outlined above with other family members who own computers?"

If you have an Office 365 personal subscription You can install the software on an unlimited number of devices, but you can only be signed in on five of them at any one time. Each device must sign in using your username and password, which means all users will have access to your files and emails (if you use Microsoft Outlook).

If you have an Office 365 Home subscription you'll get six separate licenses, meaning that all members of a family can have their own username and password, and can all sign in separately if they want to use the web-based versions of the applications. They will not see each other's files or emails.

Aitchbee 20:02 06 Dec 2018

Thanks for explaining those 2 different subscriptions so clearly, FE.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Windows Lite: what it is and when it might be released

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment installer Fortnite sur un Mac ?