Can I update my Windows 10 home tp Pro free?

john bunyan 15:49 26 Jun 2018

My desktop has Windows 10 Home , installed as OEM by Novatech from new. It is fully updated. I have a Windows 7 Ultimate DVD and licence key from a previous desktop, long destroyed. I read in a computer magazine that you can get a free update to the Windows 10 Home version by going to Settings, Update and Security, Change Product Key. Then enter old key and follow prompts. I have used Belarc to get my existing Product Key . Also I have created a restore point and Macrium image of my set up. Should I try the above? The main advantage would be remote desktop without Teamviewer etc

My laptop is out of use awaiting warranty replacement so I cant afford a slip up. Any advice?

mrcalif 17:31 26 Jun 2018

Should I try the above?
The main advantage would be remote desktop without Teamviewer etc

Why not.

Are you referring to RDP. You do realise that you have to open ports through your Routers Firewall.

john bunyan 20:45 26 Jun 2018

mrcalif

Thanks. I just thought that if I could get the Pro version free I may as well have it. Not sure the advantages for a light user like me. If I go ahead I hope it would not mean a clean install to avoid the faff of reinstalling all my software etc

Taff™ 09:53 27 Jun 2018

This should be fairly simple and I have done it over a dozen times in the last year. Backup you have covered but read these two pages first and download and use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

click here you want the April 2018 Creators Edition. Boot into Win7 Ultimate and then insert media and select the setup.exe file. You will be able to save your programs by following the prompts.

During install do not choose the recommended option to Install Updates! Do it afterwards.

Good Luck John!

HTH

href

And

rdave13 10:10 27 Jun 2018

As long as you have a verified Macrium image then I would have a go. Bellarc only shows a generic key and is useless. Wouldn't think that system restore would work after upgrade.

Have a look at this article.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 8 Review

Adobe confirms it’s working on a full Photoshop for the iPad

Apple announces new MacBook Pros for 2018

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?