Hot Topics

bluetooth adaptor useless since windows 10 update

Michael Hlousek-Nagle 20:31 29 May 2020

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I'm at my wit's end.

I use an HP pavilion 17 laptop, running Windows 10 Home, version 1903, which was updated last night.

The HP Pavilion 17 does not have bluetooth built-in, so to play music through the hifi I bought a USB bluetooth adaptor dongle (Maxesla Bluetooth 4.0 USB Dongle Adapter Wireless Bluetooth), and a receiver that plugs into the hifi. This arrangement worked well for a year - until last night, when windows updated while I slept.

Today everything is messed up. The receiver wouldn't pair with my laptop, and in changing various settings to try to rectify this I have now lost the bluetooth icon in the action centre. I can no longer find any bluetooth settings where they used to be in device manager. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the bluetooth adaptor, but when I run the installation software it asks me to confirm bluetooth is enabled on my system and plug in my device. I have no way of confirming that bluetooth is enabled because all the bluetooth icons and settings seem to have vanished (though in services it says bluetooth support service is running), and when I plug in my dongle and hit 'ok', it tells me 'Realtek bluetooth is not installed on your system'. I've been through services and tried turning all the bluetooth services to start automatically, and hit 'start' for all of them, I've unchecked 'allow windows to turn this off to save energy' etc - everything I can think of. Nothing is getting me anywhere. SO basically after a windows update my reeiver wouldn't pair with my adaptor, I tried to uninstall and reinstall the adaptor, but the installation software no longer installs. I am never again buying a laptop without built-in bluetooth. Any suggestions?

Newuser4165 10:42 30 May 2020

Windows Update on my Win10 pc indicates a possible bluetooth problem involving kb 4549951 - still under investigation. Removing this update may resolve the problem but I may be completely wrong about this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:56 30 May 2020

download USBDeview form Nisoft (free) use it to uninstall all instance of the bluethooth adaptor then:-

power - restart (not shutdown)

plug in the adaptor and see if windows detects the new device and looks for a driver.

Michael Hlousek-Nagle 14:05 30 May 2020

Hi Fruit Bat - I did as you suggested. After restart I plugged in the dongle and the system made the sound it makes when a USB device is plugged in. However, it made no effort to install anything, no windows opened. If I go to 'Bluetooth and other devices' in settings it does show the dongle, but simply says 'Driver is unavailable'. I'm just going around in circles. It's driving me crazy. Thanks for trying to help, appreciated

Michael Hlousek-Nagle 14:12 30 May 2020

Hi Fruit Bat - I did as you suggested. After restart I plugged in the dongle and the system made the sound it makes when a USB device is plugged in. However, it made no effort to install anything, no windows opened. If I go to 'Bluetooth and other devices' in settings it does show the dongle, but simply says 'Driver is unavailable'. I'm just going around in circles. It's driving me crazy. Thanks for trying to help, appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:39 30 May 2020

Now the PC sees the dongle install the driver from the mini cd that came with it.

Michael Hlousek-Nagle 16:42 30 May 2020

You'd think so, right?! It just went through the usual steps, ending in 'Realtek Bluetooth is not installed on your system'. So I was totally flummoxed. Then I downloaded a bios update from the HP website. And suddenly, there it was in settings: bluetooth toggle switch was on, and the bluetooth receiver was listed as a device. I re-paired it, and it's working! Thanks very much for your assistance. It's very much appreciated.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 55U1 is the best new TV you can’t buy

How to get your first design job

What's the difference between macOS and iOS/iPadOS

iPhone 12 (2020) : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs