Blue Screen / Screen Freeze

Chaosx2 19:20 15 Feb 2018

Okay, yes it's an older computer, but it's a workhorse & I do everything on it (or I did).

And it uses Windows XP Home SP3. Please forgive me.

Recently, I start the computer, it gets to the main page with all my shortcuts/folders/programmes on it, and it either freezes, or I get "the Blue Screen" and have to reboot - every time now. I'll open a folder or start a program & after a short while, the PC freezes or the BSOD appears. Ad nauseam.

The info on the Blue Screen is:

* STOP 0X000000D1 (OXOE111D62, OXOOOOOOO7, OX00000001, 0XF6D927FB)

* atapi.sys Address F6D927FBbase at F6D90000, Datestamp 4802539d

Why would this suddenly start happening? Is the PC just so old that it's given up? Is there any way of saving files? Sometimes it waits until I am running a program before it has a fit & stops or blue screens it.

I am not technical at all so please don't go all technical on me.

Thank you

Ian

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:03 16 Feb 2018
  1. Locate your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you'll need to locate a directory on your system that's named "i386" (without the quotes). This directory may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

2. Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW). The press Enter.

3. The program may or not ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

4. In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

5. If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required. We may have to do a repair install of XP

Chaosx2 18:31 16 Feb 2018

Thank you - I am doing the scannow thing at the moment (using laptop to do this) - It'll probably freeze or blue screen me any moment!

Windows XP was installed when I bought the computer - no discs - the scan just asked me for the XP Home Edition CD-ROM arrggghh

and the blue screen just appeared ....

great.

Chaosx2 18:36 16 Feb 2018

The PC isn't quick enough to load Firefox to get to Windows Updates before it blue screens it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:26 16 Feb 2018

see iff you have an i386 folder on the hard drive and I will show you how to point SFC at that folder.

Chaosx2 20:17 16 Feb 2018

Thanks fruit bat

Started a search for i386 folder & 3 minutes in? Blue Screen with the atapi.sys error again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:31 16 Feb 2018

Are you running Microsoft Security Essentials? if so disconnect from internet Uninstall MSE and see if it stops the blue screens.

If it does then get a better Antivirus.

Secret-Squirrel 08:38 17 Feb 2018

Chaos, shutdown your PC, turn it back on then immediately start tapping the F8 key quickly and stop when you get to the black "Advanced Options Menu". Using the keyboard's arrow keys select "Safe Mode" then hit the enter key to confirm your selection. Does the PC appear to behave normally in that mode? If it does then you should run "System Restore" which may fix your problem. It's a bit like a time machine in that it takes your computer back to a point in time but doesn't affect your personal files.

You'll find System Restore under Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools. Choose a date in bold on the calendar when you know your PC was working properly but don't go further back than you need to.

Chaosx2 19:38 17 Feb 2018

When I tap F8 repeatedly at startup, I just get the option to start using hard driver or disc, or Esc to start as normal!

Chaosx2 19:40 17 Feb 2018

Oh, and it didn't even get past the "sign in" screen to get to my desktop - waited 2 minutes then Blue Screened!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:55 18 Feb 2018

Try F10

what make and model is the PC? Does it have a floppy drive? are its HDDs eide or SATA drives?

Do you have access to another PC where you can Download and burn a linux DVD or a Windows boot CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel 3 review

Automatically create thousands of unique variations from one original design with this Illustrator…

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Test : le Razer Phone 2