Blank Screens when Ext Monitor connects via HDMI

AroundAgain 11:44 15 Feb 2019

Last evening, when (friend's) laptop was connected to Ext Monitor via HDMI cable, clicked on 'Duplicate', to show something on his laptop for all 3 of us to see, his laptop screen went blank but the Ext Monitor wouldn't display his screen.

Only way to see the laptop screen was to unplug the HDMI cable!!! It appeared clicking on different options re Ext Monitor had no effect.

We'd had no problem with my laptop screen displaying on the Ext Monitor, using same cable, plus another (longer) cable.

I tried the relevant Fn Key, Settings-System-Display but couldn't see any settings to change. With the Ext Monitor not connected, there was no way to try clicking on 'Identity' or 'Detect' but, if connected, both screens are just 'black'. Surely, it must be down to a setting somewhere ... ??? ;)

Apparently, same happens when this laptop is connected to TV although 'old' Dell laptop was fine when connected to TV.

Laptop is new, Dell Inspiron 17, 5000 series with Windows 10 and fully up to date re Updates etc.

Has anyone any suggestions, please? Many thanks

AroundAgain 09:59 17 Feb 2019

So, I assume no one has any ideas ... That's unfortunate, eh?

Looks like it's a phone call to Dell

Thanks anyway

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:39 17 Feb 2019

I'd be tempted to uninstall and reinstall the drivers first.

AroundAgain 10:54 17 Feb 2019

Hi Fruit Bat, good to hear from you ;)

Sorry to appear ignorant but I'm not sure which drivers you are refering to. I don't have the laptop with me so can't see what's showing in Device Manager but, on looking at Device Manager on my PC, I can see both my (connected) monitors listed and no HDMI Port (not connected) If the monitor is connected to the said laptop, then, with both screens black, there's no way to do anything without viewing a screen, so a bit stumped.

Perhaps you can enlighten me? :) Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:33 17 Feb 2019

re install the graphics drivers

AroundAgain 11:39 17 Feb 2019

"re install the graphics drivers"

Many thanks, Fruit Bat. I'll pass on the information. We're not meeting up again until next month so may need to re-install the drivers at that time. If that's the case, I will post back eventually ... I'll bookmark this post so I don't forget.

Again, Thanks very much

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi A3 Review: Hands-on

Wacom Cintiq 22: a bigger budget pen display arrives from Wacom

The best Mac antivirus of 2019

Quel est le meilleur Mac pour un ├ętudiant ?