Black screen after login - even on safe mode

Jwoolv 15:08 13 Aug 2016

Hi all,

I recently experience a problem with my desktop computer, after working on it throughout the day & shutting down as normal at the end of the day as I returned the following day to continue I was met with a change of font & block like tiles on the login users screen which I thought was bizarre, after logging in I came to a stand still black screen with no options available & no idea why I am experiencing this problem as my computer was fine the following night?

It does not allow me to access task manager to see what processes are currently running.

After restarting & attempting to boot into safe mode it does the exact same thing & I can't get further then the black screen after login.

I'm clueless as to why this is happening as I said my computer was fine 12 hours ago. Does anyone know what has gone wrong? How can I fix? Any help would be appreciated.

wee eddie 15:57 13 Aug 2016

Assuming that you can confirm that the Monitor is getting power, then it must be getting a Signal. If it weren't it would be displaying some kind of Logo to say "No Signal"

If, when you turn the PC on, you are getting a single Post Beep, then one has to assume that everything is working

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:24 13 Aug 2016

sounds like a corrupt profile

power on and power off after 5 seconds - do three times - it should then boot to Menu where you can select repair your computer - do a system restore to before the problem started.

Jwoolv 16:46 13 Aug 2016

You're right it does seem like a corrupt file.

I've attempted the system restore but it only gives me before the updates it did yesterday, when I resume to restore it goes ahead to restore but then an error appears;

"System restore failed while scanning the file system on the drive D:\ The drive might be corrupt. You might want to retry system restore after running chkdsk /R on the disk."

Which I have carried out but it finds no bad files.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 13 Aug 2016

try

sfc /scannow

from the command prompt

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf