Black screen.

WestinMcRoberts 03:45 18 Aug 2014

I have been looking through thread after thread and have yet to find a solution for my problem from other posts.

Running Windows 7 with MSI motherboard.

Here's what's happening:

I boot my computer, everything seems to be going fine, I get past my MSI splash screens. Then I get through the Windows logo doing it spin thing.then after that, all I get is a black screen, only thing visible is my cursor.

I have tried unplugging the power and pulled the battery for the CMOS and set everything back to the default settings which didn't work (same result, black screen with cursor.)

I also cannot seem to access my BIOS setting, when I boot up it doesn't show me a hotkey for it anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I need this computer for my online college courses.

Thanks in advance!

WestinMcRoberts 03:57 18 Aug 2014

Also, I think that it may have something to do with a Shell32.dll that was changed involuntarily if this could be the issue, I have no idea how to fix it. I do not have a Windows 7 disk either, it came pre-installed on my pc.

wee eddie 04:24 18 Aug 2014

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode?

WestinMcRoberts 10:53 18 Aug 2014

Yes, safe mode does the same thing. All I get is black screen.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 18 Aug 2014

Do a start up repair if it says it can't find any problems do it again up to at least five times.

WestinMcRoberts 21:12 18 Aug 2014

How is a start up repair started? Is that one th same screen as" start in safe mode" and "start Windows normally"?

WestinMcRoberts 21:16 18 Aug 2014

I do not get any response when I press f8 key on boot up and I do not have a Windows 7 disk. Is there another way or maybe a different key besides f8?

alanrwood 09:33 19 Aug 2014

How come you don't have a Windows disk. The supplier should have supplied one on purchase or there should be a recovery partition on the hard drive. Get back to the supplier and ask for the recovery information. If they don't help then you probably have a hacked version so report them to Microsoft.

daxian 10:31 19 Aug 2014

hi ... black screen is usually a graphics problem ... if you can get the safe mode options try the vga option ,if this works then reset your resolution to monitor default setting and reboot . f8 (safe mode options) should also give the repair startup option .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Best of the Grad Shows 2018: Middlesex University art, illustration and graphic design

Best Mac tips, tricks and timesavers

Comment identifier le modèle de son iPad ?