Is bitlocker worth using on a home laptop

john bunyan 20:35 27 Mar 2019
Answered

As mentioned in another thread I am about to have W10 installed on a Dell XPS after a new motherboard and SSD. Since I first had it , bitlocker was enabled. I tried recently to print the boot sequence via device manger but that is disallowed when it is enabled. I am beginning to think, for a home PC used by myself and my wife that it is more trouble than it is worth and complicates some issues. I know normally it is used only on W10 Pro and I have Home, but Dell seem to install it by default. I am inclined not to use it but would be grateful for input.

john bunyan 20:38 27 Mar 2019

PS I don’t keep highly sensitive stuff on this laptop

john bunyan 20:55 27 Mar 2019

FB

(I believe a Macrium user). I read this

macrium And encryptions

I am even more inclined not to use bitlocker

wee eddie 22:01 27 Mar 2019
Answer

If there is even the slightest risk of your laptop being stolen, while you are out of the house. You need to protect your Passwords

john bunyan 22:20 27 Mar 2019

*wee eddie *

Thanks. The laptop has a password to open it and my wife a different one. Are you saying, though, that bitlocker should be used? I wonder how many on the forum use it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:48 27 Mar 2019

I think wee eddie is referring to passwords stored in browsers

If you wipe the browser password cache and do allow the browser to remember sites and of course don't have a plain password text file on the PC as you have no sensitive info then I would not be using Bitlocker

wee eddie 22:50 27 Mar 2019

Bypassing the Opening Password, if you have time, is not complicated. Bitlocker is probably overkill, but a Password Manager should be a shoe in.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:55 27 Mar 2019

Use a password manager such as Lastpass or Keepass you only have one password to remember.

john bunyan 23:12 27 Mar 2019

Thank you, gentlemen. At the moment I am inclined not to use bitlocker, but to use a password manager as suggested. I don’t use it on my desktop, and Macrium is fine on that , and a few local repair guys are against bitlocker. I wonder if Techadvisor has ever surveyed how many use it? There MAY be a case for encryption on a few files but not the whole drive.

wee eddie 23:32 27 Mar 2019

As I understand it, Bitlocker, and its siblings, is mostly used by Company Employees whose laptops carry sensitive information which, in the hands of a third party, could cause problems for the Company

Gordon Freeman 09:26 28 Mar 2019

'Bitlocker, and its siblings, is mostly used by Company Employees whose laptops carry sensitive information'

I would agree with this & personally wouldn't bother with Bitlocker for a home computer as it's overkill, as also stated...just my opinion, but depends on your assessment of any risk of your machine falling into the wrong hands.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the Huawei Mate 30 launch live: Munich, September 19

Pantone has invented 294 new colours

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Google Pixel 4 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs