Bitdefender Threat Scanner Problem - What Is It?

jimforrest 03:40 10 Dec 2015

After the latest Win7 update, a box appeared on my screen warning that 'a problem has occurred in Bitdefender Threat Scanner. A file containing error information has been created ........ '

Is this a genuine scanner, or have I been invaded?

Govan1x 09:43 10 Dec 2015

It was a known fault if you have bitdefender free running. So depends if you use it or have used it before.

jimforrest 23:59 10 Dec 2015

I assumed it was a Win7 std programme, but it seems not. I've checked my installed programmes and Bitdefender isn't listed - nor do I remember ever downloading it. So if I can't see it, how do I get rid of it?

Govan1x 09:15 11 Dec 2015

Maybe give C Cleaner a run to see if it gets rid of it. or give this a try.

Click here

Found out it was downloaded years ago with Spybot. I don't suppose you use that do you. Whatever it is it should not be on your computer if you have never tried Bitdefender before.

jimforrest 15:37 11 Dec 2015

I do use Spybot and CCleaner. The trouble with all the solutions offered is they only get rid of the .dmp file that it created and not the programme itself.

A search in Windows throws up the .dmp files (which I deleted) but there's also a reference to C\ Windows\Temp\avast_ash2 but I can't actually find the file to open/delete it. If I double click on the search result it shows an empty folder.

Any ideas?

Govan1x 17:24 11 Dec 2015

Sorry not got a clue.I would run Revo uninstaller on setting 4 to get rid of Spybot completely then run C Cleaner then reboot. If no difference reinstall Spybot.

Secret-Squirrel 12:02 12 Dec 2015

Jim, are you still getting that pesky error message? If you are then I can give a troubleshooting tip that'll hopefully identify the culprit that's launching it. Let me know if you're interested.

By the way, CCleaner can't help with this and I don't understand how uninstalling SpyBot with Revo will help either.

jimforrest 16:22 12 Dec 2015

Yes SS - it pops up on a restart despite deleting the .dmp files. I also ran the usual malware 'cleaning' progs but strangely Adaware won't run - it just says 'service unavailable'! I've never seen that before.

Secret-Squirrel 17:26 12 Dec 2015

Microsoft's "Process Explorer" should help in identifying what's going on. You can get it from here and the download link to the ZIP file is top-right. There's nothing to install.

When that error message window next appears, leave it on the screen then start Process Explorer. Note that you may get better results if you launch it by right-clicking it and choose "Run as Administrator". All you need to do is to drag and drop the little target icon from Process Explorer's toolbar then drop it onto that error window and its process name will be highlighted in blue. Let me know the process name shown. Also, right-click it, choose "Properties", click the "Image" tab then copy and paste the "Path" into your reply and I'll advise further.

If you identify the culprit and fix this issue yourself then let me know please.

By the way, I don't think this is anything that's malware related.

1]: [click here

jimforrest 17:33 12 Dec 2015

Thankyou SS - I'll reboot later and cause the error window to come up. I'll report back.

jimforrest 21:13 12 Dec 2015

SS - Did as requested and, after dragging the target to the message box, the highlighted item is 'crss.exe'.

Under Properties - ' C:\Windows\System32\csrss.exe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs SSD