BBCi player

r.s.logan 19:09 02 Oct 2008

Already posted today on "absolute beginners ", probably wrongly .Briefly , new computer with Vista home premium .When I try to download Tv programmes on BBC i player it wont allow me and infers that I am out with UK .Tried different suggestions like switching off router , modem etc but none successful .Seem to be going round in circles today and getting no where fast. Daughter contacted Virgin Media as bbc i site suggested it could be ISP fault, but all ok. Seems to be a known fault on their site , but I cannot get remedy . Grateful for any help.

mgmcc 09:15 03 Oct 2008

Sites which restrict access to a particular geographical area do so by checking your IP (Internet Protocol) address - the address allocated to your PC by your ISP when you go online. If the IP address cannot be verified as, in your case, having been issued by a UK based ISP, you won't be able to access the service.

The problem usually arises when "Brits" abroad want to access services in the UK, but can also be a problem with users in the UK with ISPs such as AOL or Orange, which might allocate non-UK IP addresses.

I have Virgin Cable and on one particular site I visit, the location of my IP address cannot be identified. I haven't so far had a problem though accessing BBC iPlayer. If you are on Virgin's Cable service which, unlike ADSL, tends to retain the same IP address for a long time, you could contact Virgin and ask them how you can change your IP address to one that is clearly identifiable as UK-based.

r.s.logan 14:13 03 Oct 2008

Thanks for help and advice , just updated post on "Absolute beginners "

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?