Bad System Config Info Error

Jollyjohn 09:34 10 Apr 2016
Answered

Has anyone managed to cure this BSOD.

HP 8000 SFF PC with W7 pro installed. Owner upgraded to W10 and it worked fine for a few days but now wont boot, and won't Automatic Repair. I have cloned the drive using Macrium and am working on the cloned drive but have so far not managed to resolve the issue.

I have researched this and it seems a common error and there are a few solutions but none have worked so far.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:10 10 Apr 2016

Usual method that's worked for me on several computers is to replace the registry files with ones from regback or rescue folder depending on your version of windows

booting from a win 10 dvd /usb or you can use a live linux cd/ dvd/ usb to achieve the same thing.

rename reg files to .old

ren C:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT DEFAULT.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\config\SAM SAM.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\config\SECURITY SECURITY.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE SOFTWARE.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM SYSTEM.old

copy registry backup files to your registry.

copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT C:\Windows\System32\config\

copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SAM C:\Windows\System32\config\

copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SECURITY C:\Windows\System32\config\

copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SYSTEM C:\Windows\System32\config\

copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SOFTWARE C:\Windows\System32\config\

Secret-Squirrel 12:34 10 Apr 2016

JollyJ, that BSoD is indeed usually caused by a problem with the Registry and a Windows System Restore should fix it because it also replaces the Registry with a good copy. It's especially ideal because this problem's only a few days' old.

In principle you should be able to start the PC with a USB Windows 10 "Recovery Drive" and launch System Restore from there. If one wasn't created for that PC then make one on your PC and use it on your client's. I don't think they're device-specific so it should work. If it doesn't then you won't have wasted much time.

Jollyjohn 13:02 10 Apr 2016

Thanks for the replies. I have tried replacing the files from RegBack and they also appear to be corrupted as the PC still wont boot. I get a specific error message that system file is corrupted or missing.

What I find strange is that there are no system restore points available and I know I created one when I set the PC up just over a year ago.

I have downloaded a W10 iso and booted from it a few times. I tried to install W10 again but I get a message that there is a driver missing so I can't get any further down that route.

Jollyjohn 14:52 10 Apr 2016

Update - just looked at the files in RegBack folder and System, software etc are all showing as 0 bytes - probably why when I copied them to config it didn't work.

Is there anywhere else I can get these files?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:46 10 Apr 2016

My system file is 14.536kb

have you an image of your drive?

there is a regbak in sysWOW64 but my folder is empty.

Jollyjohn 16:27 10 Apr 2016

I don't have an image of the drive, however I did manage to clone the drive and have been working on the clone to avoid data loss from the original. I checked the original drive for the backup files, will reconnect it and have a look in syswow64. Currently I have reinstalled W7 on the spare drive and am attempting to upgrade to W10.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:31 10 Apr 2016

if you have a working clone you can copy the registry files from system32\config off the clone into system32\config on the bad drive.

Jollyjohn 19:37 10 Apr 2016
Answer

Sadly the clone wouldn't boot either, I created it so as to preserve customer data before trying to fix fault. Have successfully reinstalled W10 and am now tweaking the set up and transferring data. Thanks

Jollyjohn 10:53 11 Apr 2016

Marked as resolved as I have got W10 running and backed up and imaged and a restore point set. I was going to try copying the System, Software etc files from the working hdd to the old hdd but ran out of time before returning PC to customer, would it have worked?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:46 11 Apr 2016

possibly but would have affected several program settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

The true inspiration behind Mr. Mime in Detective Pikachu - and why it's so hard to keep Pokémon…

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables (2019)