Backing up data from a SSD drive with no partition

john bunyan 20:35 20 Jul 2018
Answered

My desktop is a 250Gig SSD on which are OS and programmes (Outlook etc is also on there). I also have a 1 TB SATA tp where my User data files such as music, Documents, pictures have been correctly moved. I back up the SSD with Macrium reflect and the Data partition with Freefilesycnch, both to an external HD. My laptop has a 500 Gig SSD , and I am reluctant to partition it for a number of reasons. So far there is little data on it and I have run Macrium reflect to image the whole drive to another external one. I did try Freefilesynch to back up my C/Users/myname folder but many bits failed , such as App Data etc. AS a suggestion I am thinking of creating a new folder "My Data" under the c/Users/myname folder then creating sub folders "My Music", My Word Documents", "My Pictures", "My Videos", "My Spreadsheets" etc. Then I could use Freefilesynch to make a mirror copy of the "My Data" folder. Any coments would be helpful. Partitioning is something I am reluctant to do as the drive is bitlocker encrypted and windows seems to discourage it. I am not using onedrive either as I don't like it. OS is Windows 10 Ver 1803 Build 17134.167

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:09 20 Jul 2018
Answer

If you have imaged the whole drive of the laptop there is no need to do anything else.

john bunyan 07:37 21 Jul 2018

FB

Thanks. However I find it difficult to extract my data. When the old laptop had a motherboard failure I could not get access to its image on the new one, so like to have the data seperately stored..

rdave13 08:12 21 Jul 2018

I agree with *Fruit Bat /\0/* as your setup only takes a few minutes to image with Macrium.

As for Bitlocker do you have the Home or Pro version of 10? If you run this command manage-bde -status c: in Windows PowerShell (Admin) it should verify the drive is encrypted.

Have a look at this thread for information.

john bunyan 13:55 21 Jul 2018

rdave13

Ok , thanks. The Windows is the home version but I have read in anothe magazine that it could be updated using a CD that I have for Windows 7 Ultimate, so May try that. Found it difficult to extract data from a Macrium image on a different PC

Will look in next day or two as am off to an old and bold RM function!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:46 21 Jul 2018

surprised you have bitlocker on the home version.

I wonder if you cannot extract data from the image as the image is encrypted with bitlocker. can you disable bitlocker before making an image?

rdave13 17:36 21 Jul 2018

No guarantees but if it has been set on the Home version this command in PowerShell (admin) might remove it; manage-bde -off c: .

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)