Automatic updates has stopped working

number 11 15:48 23 Feb 2018
Answered

Hi I have automatic updates selected on my computer (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit), and it occurred to me that there have been no updates for at least 2-3 weeks. Normally these would happen once or twice a week at least. When I try to access update options via the control panel, it freezes and won't let me in. Any ideas? Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 23 Feb 2018
Answer
  number 11 16:40 23 Feb 2018

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ - I will check that out

Secret-Squirrel 18:51 23 Feb 2018

Normally these would happen once or twice a week at least.

About once a month is the norm for Windows 7 updates nowadays.

When I try to access update options via the control panel, it freezes and won't let me in.

The last time I tackled this issue the Windows Update troubleshooter fixed it. It's quick 'n' easy and is unlikely to break your computer. Head over to Control Panel -> Troubleshooting -> "Fix problems with Windows Update" link near the bottom.

Govan1x 20:17 23 Feb 2018

Updates usually the 2nd Tuesday of every month. Just noticed that W10 is doing the same. 2nd Tuesday of every month. So you should have had updates 2 weeks ago. have you checked recently downloaded updates to see when it was last updated.

And maybe check services and make sure Windows updates is set to automatic and it is running.

rdave13 20:52 23 Feb 2018

I'll go with Secret-Squirrel here. I would, however, download troubleshooter for Windows 7 and Windows 8 from here. Slightly different from the OS's version.

Once run and it shows the fixes then close all apps and reboot. You may have to do it a few times until WU works as should.

Don't know how long Win 7 will be supported for as you need to check out the life span of updates and of which 'type' they are.

1]: [click here

number 11 13:25 28 Feb 2018

I went through all the fixes on click here - and the fifth one did it. The computer immediately downloaded 7 updates, so I'm hoping it will be ok now. Thanks guys.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus