Anti-virus gives inaccurate location info

griffon56 12:46 06 Jul 2018
Answered

Hi All, I've recently changed back to AVG from Avast because I was finding Avast too pushy, but now AVG is coming up with dire warnings about people being able to see where I am, etc, etc, but all its info is wrong. If it wasn't alarming it would be laughable. How and why is it doing this, please? Furthermore, from time to time Google searches only bring up replies from the Far East, recommending me to buy my rust-proofing paint from Goolagong Road in North Brisbane where I'll get a good deal, especially this Sunday morning!

griffon56 15:41 09 Jul 2018

Hi Secret-Squirrel, Having clicked on the link, I found that the IP address for this computer relates to just East of Greenwich in London, not unreasonable because it was originally a gift and could have been purchased there, but if that is irrelevant I've no idea how it got it. The dire warnings about how visible my location is do not relate to London but are just as wrong. Thank you for that. I've just remembered that a fairly recent search for certain tools kept recommending me to deal with a distant branch of Screwfix, still in this country but not close enough for somebody who gets around on a crutch! Weird and wonderful.

Hi John Bunyan, I fully agree with you, the free stuff does the business and if you consider that even if 10% of us make a donation the recipients make a decent living, considering some of the downloads reach multi-million numbers. Oh, and by the way, good luck with the book.

leon42 07:39 10 Jul 2018

It is an interesting thing

Secret-Squirrel 08:56 10 Jul 2018

I found that the IP address for this computer relates to just East of Greenwich in London, not unreasonable because it was originally a gift and could have been purchased there........................

The information you received related to your current IP address. It's reassuring that you were placed in the UK on the map but it doesn't explain why you've been receiving inappropriate search results. I doubt there's anything sinister going on but try that link again the next time Google thinks you're in the Far East.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Now On Sale: Price, Specification & Features

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2019)