Aniversary Blue Screen of death

grandpoops1 20:01 31 Aug 2016

On doing the Win10 aniversary update on my Intel i5 PC with 250ssd and 1kbc hard drive(where I have put most of my programs) I was met with the dreaded blue screen of death. “Your device needs to be repaired the boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors”. File:\Boot\BCD Error code 0xc000000f

On using repair tools via USB it says “the drive where Windows is located must be UNLOCKED” Nothing in repair tools works only command prompt that gets me to X:\Windows\System32>

K Taylor

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:12 31 Aug 2016

booting from the usb, run

chkdsk c: /f

eit remove USB and see if it will boot.

if not boot from USBagain this time you can either run a startup repair or from command prompt run

bootrec /rebuildbcd

exit on completion and remove usb and it should boot into windows OK.

grandpoops1 11:10 01 Sep 2016

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately nothing worked on doing a bootrec I got "The requested system device cannot be found" and back to BSD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:18 01 Sep 2016

try running chdsk c: /r

and see what happens.

grandpoops1 14:04 01 Sep 2016

Thanks for the last tip but I couldn't get to command prompt It now goes straight to Recovery Page
and turning off pc is the only option

“Your PC needs to be repaired The Boot configuration Data for your PC is missing” File \EFI\Microsoft|Boot\BCD
Error Code 0xc000000f

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 01 Sep 2016

I assume this is booting from the USB?

are you using MS win 10 USB media tool if not make the tool from here and bobot with it.

Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

1. Click next and select Repair your computer.
  2. You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select advanced options.
  3. You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

or Rebuild BCD from Command Prompt.

1. Put the Windows installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears. (if using a DVD) (if using USB it will boot to 3.)

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.
  5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  7. Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR, and then press ENTER.
  8. Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT, and then press ENTER.
  9. Type BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD, and then press ENTER.
  grandpoops1 19:32 01 Sep 2016

I have gone through your instructions and it couldn't find the right folder and now on a restart it goes straight to the repair page and not the update. I do appreciate your help but it appears that nothing is working I am at the stage now where the repair usb and the windows update usb both end up at a bsod.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:18 01 Sep 2016

try disconnecting the hdd and just leave the SSD

bbot and see what happens.

grandpoops1 23:38 01 Sep 2016

Thanks Fruit Bat

I now have the situation where both the repair and the anniversary update go straight to the BSOD where the only option is to turn off. The question now is can the disk be repaired off the machine or how can I now get win 10 reinstalled on this computer without a DVD or a copy of Win10 I do have other Hds so do not have to do it over the ssd.

robin_x 08:18 02 Sep 2016

On a working computer, make an Install DVD or USB with W10 Media Creation Tool

Select the "installation for another PC option"

grandpoops1 09:25 02 Sep 2016

Thanks for that but i have done that and repair they both go to BSOD There appears no way I can get to the operating system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Release Date, Price & Spec

Rob Hunter talks animating his magical storybook style for a spacey Jon Hopkins music video

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

Samsung Galaxy X : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique