Am I being set up or is my computer out of control

corwen137 10:37 09 Nov 2016
Answered

I have over the last week been contacted by a person [or group of different persons] at least twice a day. They say that the represent Windows licensing and that my computer has been compromised and that agencies, such as those in the middle east are using my computer to send messages and do all sorts of illegal things. I don't know what is going on and this is having a very detrimental effect on my use of the internet, and my computer. Is anyone able to help.

wee eddie 10:47 09 Nov 2016
Answer

What Antivirus and Anti Malware Programs are you running?

alanrwood 10:59 09 Nov 2016

They are scammers. How are they "contacting" you. phone, email etc?

Secret-Squirrel 11:04 09 Nov 2016

They say that the represent Windows licensing and that my computer has been compromised and that agencies, such as those in the middle east are using my computer to send messages and do all sorts of illegal things.

It's a scam. More specifically, they've told you a load of rubbish and it's a scam to frighten you into thinking there's something wrong with your computer. Those cold-callers (AKA criminals) will then offer to fix those non-existent problems for a fee. There's a lot this about so tell them to go away the next time they phone and stop worrying about it. Whatever you do, don't let them take control of your computer.

Jollyjohn 11:06 09 Nov 2016

DO NOT allow them to access your computer. They will try to get you to allow remote access to your computer and then demand money to fix it. They are scammers, and if BT suddenly start calling, this to is a scam.

corwen137 11:38 09 Nov 2016

Thanks very much for your swift responses-I have taken on board all you have said and will act upon it -thank you one and all

Burn-it 16:26 09 Nov 2016

Just think about it! How would they know what software you have on your computer without having access to it. They don't know and are using scare tactics. Never let anyone you don't know very well and trust implicitly remote access to your machine.

Forum Editor 16:39 09 Nov 2016

Never respond to emails or telephone calls which purport to come from Microsoft support or licensing departments. Microsoft will never phone or email you saying that your computer is compromised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Windows Lite: what it is and when it might be released

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment installer Fortnite sur un Mac ?