Advice on possible Norton false positive

wescliff 00:24 05 Mar 2019

This evening laptop suddenly reported the existence of something called w32.neshuta and everything went crazy. Programs were disappearing and error messages all over the place. I think I must have had some sort of premonition this morning because I took a full Acronis backup AND created a boot disc. I probably only did these because had nothing else to do. Twenty minutes to recover and so far all seems OK. Just wondered if anyone has any information on this virus. It seems it was a fairly common false positive some years ago, but nothing recently until last month when users started reporting it again. I suppose I'm bothered that it will strike again. Gratefull for any help.

Gordon Freeman 10:10 05 Mar 2019

Why don't you google it & have a read. Here's one entry I found in seconds

enter link description here

wescliff 10:40 05 Mar 2019

Yes, I've seen that, what the item doesn't do is give advice on how to stop it happening again. All that is given here is to use System Restore, but when I tried to use that I was informed that system restore did not exist on my laptop. What I'm trying to find out is what triggered it in the first place, and how to prevent a repeat.

xania 14:08 22 Mar 2019

Speak to your Anti-virus provider

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 22 Mar 2019

Windows 10 seems to switch of system restore when it does an update.

Doesn't seem to be a false positive if everything went crazy. Not very good of your Av provider if it let it through.

What can you do? either wait for your provider to give an update or change providers and of course keep a clean back up :0)

KEITH 1955 16:32 22 Mar 2019

A few years ago I ditched Norton 360 because I did a return to factory settings reboot and when I tried to use lots of previously used games downloaders/installers Norton challenged a lot of them and in some cases destroyed them as they were deemed unsafe. I disconnected from internet and turned off Norton to use them but when Norton was turned back on it still threw up false errors when I tried to run the software I had installed with Norton turned off.

For the past 3 years I have use Kaspersky paid for version.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?