Additional Hard Drive question, STARTUP issue

Ste Worrall 15:51 27 Aug 2016

Imy PC runs windows 10 and has a 2TB Hybrid HDD that it came from the supplier with, I have bought a 1TB additional internal standard HDD that I fitted to the PC, in my limited knowledge I simply plugged it in to spare SATA socket on my motherboard. Its been fitted for about four weeks. The last couple of days, the PC has had trouble starting sometimesis boots and sometimes it hangs on a black screen with the spinning disc timer icon. Am I correct in how I have fitted the HDD, and simply plugged the power and data leads in, or do I need to asign the new drive as a SLAVE drive, If so how do I do that, I know the old IDE PATA drives had a selector pin to either set it up as a SLAVE or MASTER drive, But I couldnt find anything like that on the new SATA HDD. Also this seems to have happened since the Windows 10 upgrade, is that causing any startup issues. If the issue isnt the new HDD or the Windows update, Is there a good program available to check on the health and status of a HDD, perhaps one that could identify any possible issues. Any advice is much appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:37 27 Aug 2016

You fitted the drive correctly there are no master slaves with SATA BIOS looks for an operating system starting with the drive in the lowest number SATA port.

There have been many problems with the August update especially if you have your user folders on a different partition or drive from the OS i.e. windows on C and users on D:

you can use the drives own SMART data to view its health click here

Ste Worrall 18:27 27 Aug 2016

Thanks so much for the advice, Is there anyway I can find out the SATA PORT number allocation so that I can check the main HDD is on the lowest number port

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:55 27 Aug 2016

They are marked on the motherboard - its not a problem if you only have one drive with windows on.

BRYNIT 20:36 27 Aug 2016

I would check the bios settings under hard disk boot priority to ensure the 2TB hard drive has priority over the 1TB hard drive. Also check you do not leave a USB plugged in or DVD in the drive as these can cause problems if they have priority over the hard drive.

Burn-it 23:28 27 Aug 2016

You may need to partition and format the new drive, though most are pre-formatted to FAT32.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Imminent Moto Razr reboot rumoured to be pricy mid-ranger

Murugiah: Musings on movies, mental health and Miles Morales from the young master

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones pas chers (2019)