Action needed when changing SSD and motherboard

john bunyan 13:53 27 Mar 2019
Answered

On another thread I mentioned that due to undiagnosed BSOD’s , Dell are replacing the motherboard and SSD on my XPS 13. I have a Macrium Image , which perhaps could by used to avoid a total clean install. However in case there was a corruption in the system or with one or more drivers, Dell don’t recommend using a clone or image to set up the “new” system. Anyway I seem to remember that a new motherboard won’t read an image from another one? Therefore I am de activating iTunes, MBAM Premium, Adobe Ps CS5 and MS Office 2016 as they are tied to one PC only so hopefully I can reinstall them on the new set up. Interesting Dell say they do not support partitioning of their 500gig SSD. I thought about doing so , but did not , although on my desktop have programs on an SSD and data on a SATA drive, as data back up is quicker. I shall go through the routine of reinstalling stuff and try to remember things like turning off one drive; linking iPhone via I cloud etc. I have copied mine and my wife’s iTunes libraries to a external HD and hope to copy them back to the respective accounts on the new set up - we have one each. I have a micro SD that continues to back up files via windows back up. I wonder if they will re install after the motherboard change? Any extra hints or comments would be welcome.

john bunyan 13:56 27 Mar 2019

PS I have copied all data such as photos etc to a HD

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:40 27 Mar 2019

If it is exactly the same motherboard then the image will work OK.

If a different motherboard then the drivers in the image will not work on the new board and windows may hang on boot. (This can usually be got round quite easily by booting to safe mode and loading the new chipset drivers for the new board or even a startup repair will often load generic drivers which can then be updated).

john bunyan 16:18 27 Mar 2019

FB

The only thing is that there is a possibility of a system or driver corruption, which would carry over to the next install. I am reluctant to go against Dell’s advice in case it goes wrong. Long winded as it may be , there are some advantages to a re install in clearing out junk. I fully accept your view and if I were paying for the repair I would go with your suggestions. Although the SSD and motherboard are presumably the same, I am not sure if the associated UEFI and driver’s are identical to mine. They have asked me to re run the long test of memory, I assume to double check RAM

Old Deuteronomy 16:38 27 Mar 2019

**If it is exactly the same motherboard then the image will work OK.

If a different motherboard then the drivers in the image will not work on the new board and windows may hang on boot. (This can usually be got round quite easily by booting to safe mode and loading the new chipset drivers for the new board or even a startup repair will often load generic drivers which can then be updated).**

I upgraded the wife's PC last year, keeping the same SSD as it was only a couple of months old. I, as a first step just to see if it might work, simply tried to boot from the SSD without doing anything to it and, to my great surprise, it worked and I just installed the new drivers. Never expected that to work!

john bunyan 17:22 27 Mar 2019

It is a new motherboard AND SSD

x13 17:55 27 Mar 2019

If not already done then export all your browsers bookmarks to a folder and back that up. HTML format. Easy to forget.

john bunyan 18:54 27 Mar 2019

x13

I have saved Favourites, together with photos, documents and 2 iTunes libraries, and downloads of such things as CCLEANER etc. I have noted my Office Home and Business 2016 key and uninstalled it. I have de registered I tunes from 2 of us, also de activated MBAM Premium. Also de registered and uninstalled Adobe Photoshop CS5. I have noted and kept bitlocker encryption key on a USB stick. Just ran a long diagnostic test suggested by Dell to check memory , video card etc all well. Dell engineer coming Friday PM to install both motherboard and SSD; I think W10 will be on and Dell have booked a phone session early evening Friday to help with any queries. Fingers crossed. Glad it is not my only PC- my trusty Novatech Desktop is fine with Office email and most stuff. Would be very concerned if the XPS were my sole PC. Will do a Macrium image ASAP and others as installations progress.

Aitchbee 19:46 27 Mar 2019

I would also recommend that you obtain a decent quality brand new CMOS battery for your new motherboard before your laptop is reassembled. [In case engineer hasn't got one.]

john bunyan 20:08 27 Mar 2019

Thanks HB, good idea

john bunyan 20:16 27 Mar 2019

Just emailed Dell to see if they will put one in even if I pay for it.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans