Abnormally High CPU/ RAM usage

Ayan Sadhu 06:17 24 Apr 2018

Dear team, Greetings! I am facing a problem with abnormally high physical memory usage even when the computer is idle. The details are as follows:

**PC details: Windows 7 Professional RAM: 2.00 GB 32-bit OS Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @2.53GHz 2.53 GHz

**Memory usage details: Physical Memory (MB) Total 1976 Cached 175 Available 187 Free 12

Kernel Memory (MB) Paged 190 Nonpaged 70

System Handles 23095 Threads 1058 Processes 61 Up time 1:04:55:32 Commit (MB) 3131/4528

alanrwood 09:06 24 Apr 2018

2GB is the very minimum that will run Windows 7 so it is not abnormally high usage. If you can add another 2 GB (but no more) it may improve performance and less usage of virtual memory.

rickf 10:24 24 Apr 2018

Surprised it's working with 2g ram. Increase your ram.

VirtualDreamer 10:43 24 Apr 2018

While those 2GBs are definitely too low, I also need to mention that you can never ignore the possibility of malware infections. Although, malware programs don't usually use a lot of RAM, there can be ones like Trojans, Backdoors, Worms, Bots, or even PUPs whose goal could be slowing down your system for a reason. So, apart from installing more RAM, I would certainly run a reputable malware scanner like the free version of Malwarebytes to make sure there's no infection on board.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

Illustrator Rose Blake gives a kid-friendly update for David Hockney's art guide A History of…

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment afficher des sous-titres sur Netflix ?