500GB SSD fitted only, now want to add HDD

PhillyG76 05:21 03 Mar 2019

Hi, I’ve just started building a new desktop PC, consisting of Intel 9600K CPU, Asus Z370-G Mo’Board, 16GB Corsair vengeance LPX 3000MHZ and one 512GB Samsung 970 Pro SSD. Apart from Windows 10, all I have on the SSD, is free antivirus, all the latest drivers for board. CCleaner and few utility apps like Intel Driver Update and Asus fast USB charge. I know that if I plan on installing more games, I need more storage so am thinking of adding a Western Digital Black 4tb HDD. But apart from keeping Windows and the Drivers on the SSD for faster running , what else would you say I should try and keep on the SSD? Obviously if I keep Forza on there, it will load much quicker, so I’m thinking of installing new games on the HDD and ones that I’ll play regularly move to the SSD, and games on the SSD that I stop playing regularly move to the HDD. Is this the right idea? If not, what should I do? Music files I’ll keep on the HDD, as I’ve never experienced problems playing a MP3 track due to a slow performing drive, but did have a problem with a 1080p stuttering a little, which I think was due to the HDD being quite full and little fragmented. But if I load an app/game or anything from the HDD, but in order for that to run, It requires a windows file off the SSD, will the two drives work in Tandem ok? I have no knowledge of running multiple drives and know nothing about RAID (I don’t feel confident in trying to read up on it, it seems complicated!)

Again (I’ve been asking a lot of questions, but that’s why I love being online), many thanks for any advice received. And I’ve already tried returning the favour, although I couldn’t provide a definite solution, hopefully I’ve helped this person know how to get advice from component manufacturers and a few free things that may work. Right I really should try and sleep. Have great weekend all

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:49 03 Mar 2019

The majority of programs and apps will run perfectly well off a HDD. Unless you wan real speed then install to the SSD.

I'm running windows from a 128 SSD and have 3 small(by todays standards) HDDs, all my data (user files) stored on the !st HDD, work files on a second and films on a third, no Raid required as I back up images to external drives for safe keeping.

Raid is used for redundency spreading files across drives to help prevent loss in case of drive failure.

Just add your drive, initial and format is required and maybe split into partitions if required using disk management.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Designing a near-future Kowloon Walled City for Alita: Battle Angel

Microsoft brings Windows Defender ATP to the Mac

AirPower : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique