2nd PC in a row hangs on W10 boot in exact same

temp89 16:10 21 Apr 2019

With my previous computer, I had an issue with Windows 10 hanging on boot with the spinning dots.

click here would have to reinstall Windows from scratch until an unexpected restart occurred or sometimes even nothing at all and then it would hang even in safe mode. All recovery options would fail. System restores would sometimes end up corrupting the whole drive. I swapped out most of the components, ran memtest, chkdsk, unplugged all USB devices to no avail. Eventually my work gave me an off-the-shelf Alienware Aurora R7 to replace it.

CPU: 3.7GHz Intel Core i7 8700K (hexa-core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz) Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB GDDR5X) RAM: 32GB dual channel DDR4 (2666MHz) Motherboard: Dell Proprietary (Intel Z370 chipset) Power Supply: Alienware 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Performance Liquid Cooling

Yesterday evening, a month after getting it, my internet was being slow so I restarted the computer. It then hanged on boot with the exact same problem and has done so ever since.

Everything is brand new, even the power strip it plugs into and the cable that connects to the monitor. The 256GB SSD it came with is used for Windows and work-related data. 2 Samsung 500GB SSDs are used for personal data and all non-work related program installs respectively. I have since disconnected the 2 storage SSDs. I don't do anything unusual with it. I play video games on Steam, do some development work on Epic, watch some movies, and browse the internet. After my last computer I even avoided installing more niche software like PowerISO and Bleachbit just in case.

The only things I noticed in the weeks before was that when I shut down the computer, once the displayfeed had turned off it would still spend a few minutes running before turning off. And that when I brushed the USB cable of the X360 gamepad plugged into the front Windows would give a "power surge detected on usb port" message, but all the solutions on that focused on reinstalling the USB drivers.

As with last time Startup Repair fails. And because it's a work SSD it's bitlocker encrypted so I can't currently access safe mode until I get the recovery key, which won't be until Tuesday because it's Easter. And then I'll have to explain why I managed to break a computer so quickly. None of the startup recovery options helped anything on my last computer.

I don't get how the problem could have followed me across computers. It's unlikely that a hardware failure would manifest identically. Windows and related programs ares a pre-install by the retailer this time, and none of the entertainment focused software was even installed on this SSD.

I

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 21 Apr 2019

my internet was being slow so I restarted the computer

how did you restart it? Start - Power - Restart or just held power button til it rebooted?

temp89 21:24 21 Apr 2019

Start-power-restart.

Someone else recommended leaving it on a long time and that bad Windows updates can cause this. I left it on for 3 hours and it made it to desktop. Like with my previous computer when it made it to desktop, all services would be disabled - things like ctfmon.exe, the wireless, any other- auto-start programs. This allowed me to get the bitlocker key and back up my recent files which solves the short-term issue, but not the long-term.

I turned off fast startup and did a "normal" shutdown, but it went right back to hanging on boot. With the bitlocker key I was able to uninstall the latest Windows Comfort update, but not the latest Feature update. Didn't make a difference. The "Go back to the previous version of Windows 10" is also not available.

At the moment it's settling in to a 3 hour boot into Safe Mode, but honestly I'm not sure what I can do from there. I can try and get the wireless working and check for latest Windows update, hope a smooth install papers over the cracks, but I'm fairly certain I did that once with my previous PC and it didn't help.

Menzie 21:57 21 Apr 2019

Currently Windows has issues with certain antivirus software causing long boot times.

You don't happen to have one of these installed do you?

Menzie 22:04 21 Apr 2019

The article linked above shows Windows 10 was not affected but this has not proven to be the case as Windows 10 is now on the list of OS' with the issue.

Here is an updated article.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:11 22 Apr 2019

I suggest you make a win 10 USB media tool from click here

Boot from the usb and use that to do a repair install see step 6 click here

temp89 13:21 23 Apr 2019

I switched from Avast to Windows Defender for AV after my previous computer broke.

I know from previous actions that resetting Windows will fix the boot time, but it will only last until the next restart it decides it doesn't like and then it will revert back to its current behaviour.

Windows updates were all installed several weeks ago and then my connection was set to metered to prevent interruptions.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 30 Pro Review: Hands-on

Fred Deakin on creating the artwork for his sci-fi rock opera The Lasters

Best iOS 13 features: What does iOS 13 do

Les meilleures enceintes connectées avec écran tactile (2019)