Hot Topics

Is your stuff in the cloud?

Forum Editor 12:13 21 Oct 2012

Do you use Cloud storage for your files, or are you nervous about the security of your precious data?

This might go some way towards reassuring you or at least prove interesting. Data storage has come a very long way in quite a short time.

Forum Editor 23:10 21 Oct 2012

Cream.

That's fine, until you lose the stick, or - worse - somebody pinches it.

Condom 09:47 22 Oct 2012

I have a system back up at home which keeps my music collection hopefully safe. On the move I carry three 1TB WD pocket drives again mostly with my music collection which I continually update or add to.

I was about to say that I don't use the cloud but I am wrong as I use MS Messenger and Outlook/Hotmail which are both cloud based and so I nearly made a liar of myself as I think most people wouldn't think of these programs as using the cloud.

My main concern with the cloud is the amount of space I would need and the quickness of getting at my information around the world. I think the expense would not make it a good choice for me.

Forum Editor 10:58 22 Oct 2012

Condom

"My main concern with the cloud is the amount of space I would need and the quickness of getting at my information around the world."

The Cloud isn't the ideal place for storing a music collection; not because of any problem with accessing it - you need an internet connection, that's all - but because you will run up against our old friend - bandwidth.

Cloud storage is perfect for people who store business data and want to be able to access it rapidly, using any internet-connected computer, anywhere in the world. It means that - in theory - you can travel without a computer. Not that I ever do.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:18 22 Oct 2012

in theory - you can travel without a computer.

I didn't think that was possible nowadays - passports have smart chips - your ticket is probably computer generated, as is the controlling timetable.

Planes, trains buses and cars are all computer controlled (EMS). We even carry chips in phones - and a chip in the watch on your wrist.

I even know few people who need a chip just to be able to walk around - pace makers and parkinsons controller.

:0)

mole1944 05:08 23 Oct 2012

I agree with ventad,companies come and go,if you want large off site storege the answer is staring you in the face. Buy a couple external hard drives and when you save your data hide it somewhere safe, i for instance use a safe hidden in the joists in the house and one hidden outside my house in case of fire.So you see a one of payment and no monthly coasts,to paraphrase "Data in the hand is worth two in the cloud".

Forum Editor 10:47 23 Oct 2012

"Data in the hand is worth two in the cloud".

That may be true, but it isn't the point here. The advantage of cloud storage is that your files are available to you, and to anyone else you want to share them with, 24 hours a day, wherever in the world you might happen to be.

You don't have to have the 'data in the hand', or carry a laptop around with you; any on-line computer gives you instant access to your work. In a corporate environment, you can make files available to colleagues anywhere, at any time, regardless of time zones.

Carrying memory sticks around is fine for stuff like "A bit of music, some family photos, portable firefox, a few AV programs," etc., but it's out of the question for anything really important or confidential, and it's certainly no good if you want to work collaboratively with people in another country. The Cloud is a perfect medium for that kind of thing.

It's not the answer for everyone however, certainly not for most home computer users...at the moment. Things will change, I think, given time.

TonyV 11:13 23 Oct 2012

On the MAC with Mountain Lion, and using their Numbers and Pages programmes, I get the chance to use iCloud. It seems to work on the Apple related applications and the odd times I use their Pages or Numbers, the saving is to iCloud. Unless, of course, I decide to save them to the Hard Drive. Access is good and quick as well via iCloud. Presumably iCloud is the MAC version of the Cloud system of storage.

TonyV

Forum Editor 11:18 23 Oct 2012

TonyV

"Presumably iCloud is the MAC version of the Cloud system of storage."

Yes, it is. There are various other Cloud storage services - Microsoft has one called SkyDrive, and there's an excellent Cloud storage and sharing service called DropBox. The names are different, but the principle is the same - your files are being stored on remote, secure servers.

Quickbeam 11:32 23 Oct 2012

Not forgetting the Latin version, iClaudius...

SparkyJack 11:37 23 Oct 2012

I have no use for cloud storage - I generate very little of value ,the stuff I wish to keep goes onto an external drive/and burned to disk- both of which are checked regularly.

I have been of late trying to download a program being offered as a 'FREE' download-but to get it I first had to sign up to a 'Cloud' service- so still checking alternative sites.

Also as all this data is stored magnetically- I can imagine that at some future date when historians are researching the 21st century- there will be a big hole in the data due to Solar activity or EMP that wiped everything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is just too much

Landscape Illustration tips from leading illustrators

New MacBook Air could be coming soon

Comment recycler un téléphone portable ?