Is your opinion really valued?

canarieslover 20:55 05 Jan 2018

Over the years I have never been asked for my opinion. If there is an election pending the pollsters seem to deliberately avoid me, even dodging round me for the exit polls as well. Would a magistrate like my opinion, no. I have now reached the age limit where my opinion will never be needed in court, perhaps just as well as prostate problems would not let me sit for too long without a visit to the loo. Even when I want to book a holiday my wife takes no notice of me and prefers to seek the opinions of others on TripAdvisor. Has anyone else ever felt so ignored as I do?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:03 05 Jan 2018

If you've been married for awhile then you should be used to it by now.

The Pollsters tend to avoid the grumpy oldsters as do the Politicians, we've seen it all before.

My grandson would rather ask Googlella (in the box on the sideboard) than me now because even if she doesn't know she tells abetter joke than I do.

:0)

canarieslover 21:27 05 Jan 2018

I qualify in the 'married for a while' way having reached our 5th anniversary this year. What I can't get my head round is that my oldest son has twice been called for jury service and I have never been asked. I don't even get to be one of the hundred people asked a question on Pointless!!

Aitchbee 21:29 05 Jan 2018

I've given up trying to give advice to my siblings, 2 brothers and 2 sisters, although I find it hard to keep my big mouth shut ... at times ;o]

bumpkin 22:08 05 Jan 2018

Think yourself lucky, nobody ever listens to what I have to say anyway. Your opinion is irrelevant.

morddwyd 11:02 06 Jan 2018

When I was still in the service I once ran a department maintaining ground support equipment for aircraft.

when I attired one morning they were all already hard at it, as was right and proper, trying to start a bit of kit which was known to be a bit recalcitrance. It was January in central Germany and very cold.

Unusually for a diesel this thing had to be started with a handle (The procedure was to prime it with a special oil, a bit more volatile than standard diesel), and it was apparent they were already struggling.

I did the mail, made some phone calls and a cup of coffee and went to check the days lasts were allocated, and they were looking bit frazzled. I told them to pour a kettle of hot water over the injectors, an idea which was laughed at (I was three years off retirement and they, all eight of them, were under 25).

Come coffee time and they were locking decidedly the worse for wear and I repeated my advice, as I did twice more during the morning.

Came back from lunch and the loader was running as sweet as a nut. I asked them who had fixed it and they sheepishly admitted their they had pours a kettle of hot water over the injectors!.

I pointed out that was why I was in a nice warm office and they were in the cold and wet.

I could have come the heavy hand earlier in the day, but since they still had the day's wok to do (and that was where my heavy hand did lie!), and the RAF does not pay overtime it was a lesson well learned!

Cymro. 11:57 06 Jan 2018

Perhaps it is best if we are not taken too much notice of. The chances are that we will only get it wrong and we would than have to take the blame. Best keep out of it and so keep safe.

oresome 15:54 06 Jan 2018

I regularly receive 25p from YouGov for 15 mins filling in a questionnaire so yes, I have some value, but not much.

john bunyan 16:08 06 Jan 2018

One of my granddaughters, now 22, used to value my opinions - taught her to swim, cycle, read etc. Now, with a UCL Hons BA and a MA, she regards my opinions, particularly on politics , as utterly valueless. Not averse to a bit of pocket money though, even now she is working!

Cymro. 10:43 07 Jan 2018

john bunyan One of my granddaughters, now 22, used to value my opinions - taught her to swim, cycle, read etc. Now, with a UCL Hons BA and a MA, she regards my opinions, particularly on politics , as utterly valueless. Not averse to a bit of pocket money though, even now she is working!strong text

Yes much like my daughter even re. the qualifications. We still love them though don't we John

john bunyan 11:48 07 Jan 2018

Cymro

Of course we do. I am guilty of not valuing my late mother’s opinions, so I guess it is common to have these generation differences in some cases. Funnily enough her 25 year old sister is very appreciative of my opinions!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)