Your experiences with water softeners

bumpkin 17:43 27 May 2017

I know about the big ones that you fill with salt. I had one for many years which was fine untill the replacement seals became hard to get and also a tricky job so I replaced it with an electronic box which claimed to do not quite the same but good enough and needed no maintenance. That has now failed after about 12yrs so I can't complain. Looking on the net for a replacement there are many options from the very expensive to the so cheap it can't possibly be any good. Any comments appreciated, I would prefer the electronic type really but nothing ruled out yet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:32 28 May 2017

I've never understood how Limescale {Ca(HCO3)2 + Mg(HCO3)2} can be affected by magnets?

Calcium Bicarbonate is left as a deposit where the water has evaporated. Hence the problems in washing machines and kettles.

Magnesium Bicarbonate is often found in spring water and appears to make the water taste better.

While we're on the subject of bicarbonates, anyone remember those toy subs from the cereal packets? Fill with sodium bicarbonate and the would rise up and sink back down again in a tub or bath of water. :0)

bumpkin 17:53 28 May 2017

his is what they claim. click here

bumpkin 17:54 28 May 2017

Click "How it works"

Aitchbee 19:50 28 May 2017

Slightly off subject bumpkin but I've noticed simple maps of Britain [which display the degree of water hardness] on the outside of washing-up-product-containers. If one lives in a hard water area like England for example [but not Scotland] then one has to use double or treble the amounts of the product. It's got something to do with the geological 'make-up' of the land where vast volumes of water are swished about amongst the rivers and underground rocks etc.

bumpkin 20:19 28 May 2017

I don't know much about it but hard water wrecked the Titanic.

Cymro. 11:20 29 May 2017

Makes me appreciate just how lucky I am to be living where I do with lovely soft water unless someone can think of a snag to be living with soft water.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:11 29 May 2017

No such thing as soft water when you're a high diver and get it wrong, its like hitting concrete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus