Hot Topics

Your best energy savings tips

simonjary 14:43 22 May 2013

Hi.

We've just updated our Energy Saving Tips How To.

I'm sure there are some forum users with fantastic electricity and heating savings tips.

What are your favourites? We'll add the best to the article.

Thanks!

Simon

Publisher, PC Advisor

Aitchbee 19:51 26 May 2013

...while we are on Nutty Avenue, I have been experimenting with my 'spare and unused [up-until-now] verandah, teracotta, roof-tiles [5" x 5" x 0.75"] [one-at-a-time] as a replacement for aluminium foil underneath my gas-oven grill pan. They can 'stand' the heat.[absorbing the wasted heat energy].

After a quick clean, the very hot tile(s) can be used to heat up a cold area ... whatever that might be!

bumpkin 21:21 26 May 2013

Aitchbee, that is a good idea, I will take some tiles from my roof heat them in my oven then use them to warm up the living room living room. you should suggest this to Martins Moneysaver tips.

bumpkin 21:30 26 May 2013

In the ranks of stupidity that comes second to Bald Eagle who wallpapers blocks of poltstyrene to match his rooms then pushes them into his windows every night, they call me mad!!

Aitchbee 21:32 26 May 2013

bumpkin - I was a-thinkin' along the lines of a Doll's House [ that might be glad of some underfloor instant heatin'] ... roundaboot Christmas time.

bumpkin 21:46 26 May 2013

Aitchbee, probably about its limitations, I was only joking anyway:-)

bumpkin 21:57 26 May 2013

Aitchbee, be sure you check the health and safety rules regarding using preheated roof tiles to heat a dolls house.

Aitchbee 17:38 28 May 2013

Bing.alau ... my [soon-to-be-patented] hot-tile method would be a good way to defrost one's frozen slices of bread [quickly] if one doesn't have a microwave [to hand] :o]

Aitchbee 21:35 28 May 2013

Mr Mistoffelees, I think we, [and the latter posters to this thread] are on the same 'wavelength' hee hee.

Quickbeam 08:51 29 May 2013

"Halogen ovens can do anything..." Yes, you can even read a book by the emitted light so as not to waste it.

It's a bit of a bind though if you like to read more fluently than in 10 second bursts.

recap 14:20 29 May 2013

Saving energy with your freezer: fill spaces with styrofoam you get free with packaging. Don't allow your freezer to freeze up.

Tumble dryer: if you do use one, turn it off before the cooling setting, let your clothes cool naturally.

Sorry if these have been mentioned before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What’s the difference between VPN and Antivirus and do you need both?

These are the best album covers of 2019

How to pick the best iPhone insurance

Les bons plans gadgets high tech (2020)