Your best energy savings tips

simonjary 14:43 22 May 2013

Hi.

We've just updated our Energy Saving Tips How To.

I'm sure there are some forum users with fantastic electricity and heating savings tips.

What are your favourites? We'll add the best to the article.

Thanks!

Simon

Publisher, PC Advisor

Ex plorer 21:52 23 May 2013

I personally always have a tank of domestic hot water all day it ticks over all day from oil fired boiler. (1 in House) Cylinder is small but has fast recovery rate pre-lagged.

My mother heats bath water by immersion heater and kettle for washing up. Medium cylinder with Jacket. (1 in House)

My brother is on economy through night store and makes it last all day. (2 in house) purpose built economy cylinder. Wont use the boost unless absolute necessary.

I suppose its what suits us best.

caccy 14:34 24 May 2013

Hibernate!!

Aitchbee 21:36 24 May 2013

I have mentioned before in another 'energy saving' thread ... but, integrally 'built-in' communal washing-machines-and-dryers in 'high rise blocks of flats' - all situated in the basement area of the building - are a great way to free up room space in your own flat and help reduce unneccessary wasteful use of energy when one is allocated a 'slot' once-a-week to do the laundry.

bumpkin 22:34 24 May 2013

Aitchbee, "I have mentioned before in another 'energy saving' thread ... but, integrally 'built-in' communal washing-machines-and-dryers in 'high rise blocks of flats' - all situated in the basement area of the building - are a great way to free up room space in your own flat and help reduce unneccessary wasteful use of energy when one is allocated a 'slot' once-a-week to do the laundry."

That is a very sensible idea which I believe has been tried. The problems with this however are numerous. Who pays for them, the electricity the cleaning, the maintenance etc. A probable target for vandals and thieves also. A good idea in theory but to my mind not really feasible in reality.

Aitchbee 22:58 24 May 2013

bumpkin - I expect that is why my friend's rent is relatively so high.

PS. I used to wash my 7kg quilt in the communal washer and 'bung' my friend a fiver ... but that has stopped now, as I could see that my friend could end up getting evicted for misuse of the communal washing and drying facilities where he lives.

Forum Editor 23:50 24 May 2013

bumpkin

"A good idea in theory but to my mind not really feasible in reality"

Communal laundry rooms are commonplace in American high-rise apartment blocks, and they work very well. I know of at least one tower block in London that has them, too. There must surely be others.

bumpkin 00:22 25 May 2013

As I have said it is a good idea and I have seen it working in US and other countries. I suppose it really depends on the tenants or leaseholders whether to make it work to their advantage or not.

spuds 17:24 26 May 2013

I was going to suggest perhaps looking into solar panels, but having just read a combined article from a university lecturer and an accountant, it would appear that there is now a rethink about solar panels and recuperating your original investment.

There is also another article which also appears interesting. Apparently in the south of Germany by the Bodensee (Lake constance), a very, very Green political area, virtually all houses, commercial, industrial and farm buildings have their roofs covered with solar panels.

Last year there was a fire at one home, and two firemen got electrocuted. The investigation found that the insulation on the cables from the panels had melted and as the sun was still shining, the panels were still charging, giving a very high voltage. It would appear that there is very little that can be done to stop this, and as a result the fire service will not attend unless the owners/occupier can guarantee the panel are no longer providing a charge. It would also appear that the German insurance industry are very concerned about this, and have added a number of new exclusion clauses in insurance policies. The British insurance industry are now also looking into this, and some UK property owners or occupiers might be in for a shock, insurance wise.

Bald Eagle 17:27 26 May 2013

We keep all internal doors closed, turn off radiators in unused rooms with the curtains closed and my best yet!!! When daylight fades we put homemade non flammable expanded polystyrene slabs into the window reveals. They keep the heat in the house and you'll notice a difference even with double glazing fitted. Papered to match the room (wife's demand) they are unobtrusive.

bumpkin 18:42 26 May 2013

Spuds, solar panels are a total con about 20yrs to recoup your investment I believe and no guarantees on that, plus they are an eyesore I would not have them if they were free.

Bald Eagle, "When daylight fades we put homemade non flammable expanded polystyrene slabs into the window reveals. They keep the heat in the house and you'll notice a difference even with double glazing fitted. Papered to match the room (wife's demand) they are unobtrusive."

Some other members call me mad but now you have put things into perspective, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi A3 Review: Hands-on

Can you trademark a moving image?

Best free iPhone games 2019

Les bons plans audio (2019)