Your Application Of The Year And WHY?

powerless 16:47 08 Oct 2004

Make your nominations NOW!

What is your application of the year and yes there is 3 more months to go for 2004 but it gives us plenty of time.

Forum Editor 17:47 08 Oct 2004

click here

A tiny little application that's so good it has been acquired by Microsoft.

Lookout finds all documents or emails on my computer that contain a keyword or phrase, and it does it (usually) in about 2 seconds. You get a neat list of documents with relevant application icons alongside and you just click on the one you want. It's a fantastic time-saver, and the best thing about it is that it's free - at the moment.

Forum Editor 08:26 09 Oct 2004

I'm glad you like LookOut - it's the find of the year as far as I'm concerned.

Don't worry about .NET - it's harmless, and (in this case)simply helps LookOut with its indexing.

Pidder 22:30 13 Oct 2004

I'm easily pleased, Wintidy for me, to reset my desktop after Safe Mode in 98SE messes it up.

scotty 11:26 15 Oct 2004

A GPS based navigation system (runs on PC and PocketPC). Gives maps and voice commands to guide you from A to B. Includes maps of all of Western Europe. Lots of details, points of interest (garages, hotels, airports etc) often with phone numbers. You can define a road to avoid (to route round a hold-up) and if you stray from the defined route it quickly finds a new route for you.

If you are driving somewhere unfamiliar this application is a "must have". It has even surprised me on home teritory where it has suggested routes I would not have considered.

ajm 22:38 15 Oct 2004

Many a times, this $99 software has saved my hide and time by remotely allowing me access to my home machine from anywhere that has internet access.

Yes, there are a couple of other alternative like PCAnywhere and RealVNC, but the setup and installation of GOTOMYPC was simple and straight forward.

click here

Zaphod Beeblebrox 22:49 15 Oct 2004

EMCO remote desktop saves me a lot of walking at work

iambeavis 21:34 18 Oct 2004

I have to give my award to nLite - click here
It's allowed me to have the O/S that I want.

Honourable mentions to - Karen's Clipboard Viewer - click here
and Process Explorer from Sysinternals -
click here
two small applications which, in my opinion, do the job better than their Microsoft counterparts.

powerless 22:37 18 Oct 2004

Yes, nLite - Still in beta - and gets a mention.

Nice app.

hugh-265156 01:34 31 Oct 2004

realVNC for me too click here fantastic freebie

powerless 21:13 11 Dec 2004

Anyone else?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Apple unveils first ‘pro’ iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max

InDesign at 20: how Adobe beat Quark to become the graphic design tool of choice

iPhone 11 Pro confirmed: Release date, price & specs

Les meilleures montres connectées (2019)