Young or new drivers and the accident rate

HondaMan 11:55 19 Jul 2019

There has been a lot of discussion recently about the number of young or newly qualified drivers being involved in accidents. There have been many suggestions on how to reduce this, not letting them drive at night for one such stupid example. As a starting point I would suggest that limiting the vehicle which they can drive would be one way. Not by engine size, number of cylinders or even quoted horsepower, but by insurance group rating. I say not by engine size because Ford, to take one make, now produce a 3-cylinder engine of 1 ltr with almost 200 b.h.p. Similarly a large number of cylinders does not necessarily equate to high horsepower. Insurance group ratings, IMHO is a good base-line from which to start and from which other restrictions can be considered and imposed if found to be necessary.

Any views?

john bunyan 07:01 21 Jul 2019

I took my test in 1956; have driven almost every vehicle here and on continent. However on the basis that “You’re never too old to learn” I am on my 5th (out of about 10 or 12) sessions of an IAM Roadsmart course hopefully leading to their test. Many small lessons learnt.I strongly recommend it to old and indeed new drivers. Tests are by Police Instructors. All volunteers so cost is £149 for a year - ie less than £15 a “lesson” (in own car). (Institute of Advanced Motorists)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei given 90-day extension to trade with US companies

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)