You think you've got problems

Cymro. 11:06 10 Sep 2018

BBC link

As a father of two and a grandfather of three I can't imagine anything much worse than this poor man's story. It's the uncertainty and failure to get a closure. It makes the other stuff I post about seem so very trivial.

Aitchbee 12:13 10 Sep 2018

Yes, it is a very sad story; but having a very large photo of one's lost loved one displayed so prominently in one's living-room and keeping his bedroom 'just as it was' is not a very good idea, I reckon. It must add to the parents' anguish.

Forum Editor 13:36 10 Sep 2018

It's very difficult to imagine how I might feel, in similar circumstances. I certainly believe that in these cases the uncertainty of knowing blights the lives of parents for the rest of their days.

People deal with such stress in a variety of ways, and keeping child's room as it was at the time is a common attempt at coping. Photographs are used as a means of remembering - parents dread the thought that the memories may fade in time, so they keep them alive.

All in all, it's a parents' worst possible nightmare because they can't stop imagining what might have happened. Knowing for sure does usually bring a small measure of peace. I hate the word 'closure' because there's no such thing in these cases.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs